Itchy skin

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
gailie11

by gailie11 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:01 pm

Itchy skin

Hello
Thanks for your input at the online clinic.
I am a 58 year old very nice lady and have suffered from M.E. for 9 years now. I also have Hashimoto's thyroiditis and supplement with Thyroxine currently. Fairly recently I have begun to suffer from a hot itchiness which "zings" around my body affecting many parts randomly and for no apparent reason.

I have not changed my diet at all so do not understand the intermittent itchiness. I am unaware of actual rashes. I do become very hot much of the time. Any suggestions as to why this should suddenly develop and what can I do to help myself? Thanks

riacraft

by riacraft on Sat Aug 17, 2013 3:51 pm

Re: Itchy skin

I too have itchy skin, especially in the evenings and at night, msot often on my legs but sometimes elsewhere. I have no idea what causes it but it dsirupts sleep considerably. I would love to have some medical info on this. Is it part of CFS or fibro? What is causing it? What can be done about it?

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:28 pm

Re: Itchy skin

The combination of itching skin without any obvious rash and fatigue should always alert a physician to consider other possible explanations in addition to a diagnosis of ME/CFS

In particular, there is a condition called primary biliary cirrhosis that can cause skin irritation and fatigue (jaundice appears later on)

The other possibility, in view of the temperature control symptoms, is that this might have a hormonal component

So you need to go back and see your GP, who will probably want to do some blood tests, and (if necessary) refer for further assessment
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

3 posts