Blood Tests

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
sedwen01

by sedwen01 on Thu Aug 15, 2013 7:20 pm

Blood Tests

After much deliberation, I finally obtained my entire medical history. I noticed that on every blood test I had (5 total - FBC 2011-2013) the Mean Corpuscular Haemoglobin (MCH) was flagged every time higher than the specified range. MCV is always right under the top range.

Does this have any clinical significance on its own? It was flagged on the same FBC test with a high MCHC once. I've been reading about pernicious anaemia and B12 / folate deficiency and the links with CFS. My B12 and serum folate is within range although I've read that this can be quite deceptive in an underlying deficiency + this data is from 2011.

I've also had one flag of neutrophil count (low - OK in latest), one flag of serum vitamin D (low - never repeated), one flag of MCHC (high - OK on latest) & one flag of serum creatine kinase (High, which was repeated and was then OK).

Apart from the high CK, I was never told about any of these discrepancies. Any significance?

Many thanks for your time.

sedwen01

by sedwen01 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:29 pm

Re: Blood Tests

Bump - no response :(

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:15 am

Worth noting that a raised MCV (= increased size of red blood cells) in someone with ME/CFS indicates the need to specifically exclude several other causes of chronic fatigue - eg pernicious anaemia, low folate, hypothyroidism etc.
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

sedwen01

by sedwen01 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:41 pm

Thank you Dr's :)

5 posts