Tired all the time

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
stupid

by stupid on Fri Aug 16, 2013 12:37 am

Tired all the time

For years I have been treated for depression and anxiety, but for the past 4-5 years I have become extremely tired and lethargic. Even when I was doing exercise and walking I always felt sluggish for days after. I have never had a day where I felt full of energy or even half full!
I have had quite a few doctors (usually SHO or SPR’s as they are called now) and cpn’s, and they have said it is the depression. I have several blood tests over the years and all came back ok.
My problem is that I am constantly tired, lethargic and have no energy. Even washing up is a problem and I have to wash up in stages. Where it takes one person maybe ten minutes to wash up it may take over an hour and sometimes several days to complete the cleaning of the kitchen (not including mopping the floor).
This also includes tidying the rest of the house.
When I have tried to tidy up I have to sit down or lie down for about an hour before trying to continue with the task. This will go on for hours. I have bought a stool for the kitchen, so I can sit and tidy, it works for a while then have to lie down.
I know that partly it could be my mental health but I think it could be something else and because I have seen several SHO/SPR’s I think no one has got to know me and I have now giving up on mentioning it to them.
Can you let me know if what I described could fall into CFS? If so how can I get my doctors to look into this? I feel that because of my mental health they are not listening to me.

Sorry if this seems confusing, I don't know what you would need to know. Thanks

soulpoet

by soulpoet on Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:19 am

Re: Tired all the time

Am so sorry to hear you do not seem to be getting the help you need with the extreme fatigue. Because what you are describing is not 'tiredness', it is much more. And you are most definitely NOT stupid. I am no GP, but your pattern of exhaustion certainly should be looked at separately.
Your writing is clear, sensible and well thought out, and I'm wondering if it may be easier for you to actually just copy it out and hand it to the medical person to read - perhaps with a, " Please would you read this, as it needs to be looked at as separate from the depression." Or whatever feels right for you to say - and/or is there someone who could come to the appointment with you for support?
This is only a suggestion, but it may just have more impact than you trying verbally once again with someone you feel just isn't listening, or else someone who barely knows you. Because what you have written so clearly will save them time, and sets out succintly how you have struggled to cope with the fatigue - in short it gives them the info they need to investigate it beyond the depression.
Even though I'm lucky enough to have a GP who took my fatigue seriously enough to refer me to a consultant for diagnosis, and who is still supportive; over three years later I still sometimes get nervous when going to see my Dr about a new symptom, or something that isn't working well. So on those nervous days I've taken to writing down what I want to say before the appointment, then handing it to him and quietly allowing him to read it uninterrupted, rather than me nervously tripping on my tongue. He appreciates this.
I'm well aware that some antidepressants cause fatigue, but this should not cloud the issue, as the patterns you describe (i.e. an hour to do the dishes) can be caused by other illnesses, too.
I hope this has helped, and am sending best wishes x

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:02 am

Re: Tired all the time

There are many causes - involving both physical health and mental health - for feeling 'tired all the time' (TATT in medical jargon)

TATT should be medically assessed by taking a detailed clinical history, carrying out a physical examination and arranging a number of blood and urine tests - the ones that are normally used before a diagnosis of ME/CFS is considered/made

All this preliminary work can and should be done by a GP

If it seems possible that you have ME/CFS, and the GP requires further help in making a diagnosis, you could be referred to hospital based ME/CFS service for both diagnosis and management

There is a full list of UK hospital based services for ME/CFS, along with contact details, on the MEA website:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

3 posts