Symptom Phases including insomnia

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
Housemouse

by Housemouse on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:04 am

Symptom Phases including insomnia

Hello,

Additional to the 'usual' daily symptoms, I also seem to have periodic phases of different symptoms, ie migraine phase, skin or scalp sensitivity phase, and insomnia phase, micro sleep phase, extra tired phase (in addition to the 'usual' sudden energy drain which is one of the constant symptoms etc., etc.,

Is there a known reason please? And is there anything I can do about it?

Thank you

kittycat2000

by kittycat2000 on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:26 am

Re: Symptom Phases including insomnia

I don't have any answers for you housemouse but just wanted to let you know that I also experience this especially where insomnia is concerned. For 2 or 3 days every month I could sleep the clock round and then the insomnia kicks in again

goblinff

by goblinff on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:55 am

Me too. For the first time EVER this summer I got light sensitive. In the middle of the heatwave. Talk about a wasted life....

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:32 am

As you are no doubt aware already ME/CFS is a 'fluctuating medical condition' where the symptoms often fluctuate on an hour to hour, day to day, week to week basis

In some people this change in symptom pattern can also follow a more periodic route whereby some symptoms tend to come and go - sometimes related to increased levels of general debility/fatigue and/or stress

What you are describing seems to be a variant of this - it's not that common but I know that other people do report a similar pattern

I'm afraid I don't have any magic answers as to what you can do to modify or reduce what is happening - there certainly isn't a drug based solution

Those with a similar symptom pattern may have some useful practical advice to offer....
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Housemouse

by Housemouse on Fri Aug 16, 2013 11:37 am

Thank you all for your replies, I'm sorry other people have the same experience, although it's reasuuring to know that it's not just me - and also reasurring to know that it's not me doing something 'wrong' to bring on the phases

5 posts