ME/CFS symptoms

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Lisesuffolk

by Lisesuffolk on Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:13 pm

ME/CFS symptoms

I was diagnosed in 2005 and work part time, but mainly use weekends, part time days and annual leave to manage my symptoms, as I am concerned about my sickness absence and the work place. I struggle with the 'brain fog', fluey symptoms, painful joints and complete lack of energy most.
My symptoms appear to be made worse either before or during a period, when run down or stressed or during a hot spell as I dont seem to be able to moderate my temperature. I often have freezing cold hands and feet. My doctor has offered me seratonin boosters but I am very wary about going down this line, as I often have adverse reactions to medication. I don't feel as though I am depressed but feel that the ME has changed my life. I am often stressed at work trying to perform as well as my colleagues

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:28 pm

Re: ME/CFS symptoms

You clearly have a number of queries relating to management

So my first piece of advice would be to ask your GP if you could have a referral to a hospital based ME/CFS service - if there is one at your local hospital

Full details of all the UK hospital based services can be found on the MEA website:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk

Regarding employment, the MEA has an information leaflet on all aspects of employment in relation to ME/CFS, including how the Disability Discrimination Act and 2010 Employment Act works in relation to ME/CFS (eg changes to working hours and duties)

We also have a fully updated MEA information leaflet covering depression (where it occurs) and the use of antidepressants (such as the 'serotonin boosters'/SSRIs you mention) in ME/CFS

Stress can be an important factor in both helping to trigger ME/CFS and in maintaining the illness - we have an MEA leaflet that covers the management of stress (where it occurs) in ME/CFS

Disturbances in temperature control is a very common feature of ME/CFS - possibly due to the way that a tiny gland in the brain called the hypothalamus (which acts as a temperature thermostat) is involved

Regarding exacerbation of symptoms during menstruation - you might find it helpful to look at the reply I have already given on this on the forum
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Lisesuffolk

by Lisesuffolk on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:33 pm

Many thanks for your response I will order copies of the information. I was very disheartened last winter as I seemed to pick up every infectious bug at work, which often ended up with sinusitus requiring anti biotics which I have a very uneasy relationship with. Is this likey to be that I don't have the energy/stamina to fight them off? Do you have any advice reagarding this? I have had blood tests which have come back as normal.
Regards

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:56 pm

Apart from common sense advice relating to avoiding situations where you are more likely to pick up infections I'm afraid I don't have any other solutions

And I don't believe that expensive 'immune boosting' supplements and vitamins are the answer
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

4 posts