Shaking first thing in the morning

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
EramysPep

by EramysPep on Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:30 pm

Shaking first thing in the morning

As other posts have said, I sometimes get very shaky in my hands and body if I'm tired. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and I'm shaking so much that even my breathing is shaky - although I'm not out of breath. Is this 'normal' in M.E.? I was wondering if it was something to do with my blood pressure on waking - should I get that checked? My GP is one of those who doesn't really understand M.E. so I don't go to see her unless I really have to.

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:02 pm

Re: Shaking first thing in the morning

It sounds as though you need some expert help with assessment and management of your symptoms - which may or may not be related to ME/CFS

If your GP feels that she cannot help/does not understand I suggest you ask if you can have a referral to a hospital based ME/CFS service

Full details of all the UK hospital based ME/CFS services can be found on the MEA website:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Dolphinmum

by Dolphinmum on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:43 pm

That sounds all to familiar. When I'm tired I get the shaking feeling throughout body but nobody can see from outside. I wake in the morning and my arms and legs have that internal shaking feel in which takes me about half hr to get out ta bed. The breathing side is more faster breathing but as u say not out ta breath. I have fibro and CFS and awaiting CFS clinic referral. Good luck

gainsboroughgirl

by gainsboroughgirl on Sun Aug 18, 2013 12:52 am

I totally understand this description! However, I would have to go with Dr Shepherd in advising you to check this out especially if it's regular eg could it be low blood sugar after the night fast? Having said that look at how you get up- be gentle with yourself! There is also some evidence that patients with ME have orthostatic hypotension - where blood pressure doesn't equalise on standing. This will make one light headed and likely a little shaky. Are there other times eg getting up from prone on a sofa during the day, is it always morning first thing? Is it always when you haven't eaten for a while? My shaking is fatigue related and rest not sugar is the only help. That's why I ask if is only on waking for you which would make me suspect low blood sugar or hypotension. You do demonstrate though one of the problems with ME- there are so many symptoms that if one went to the GP about each one, one would fear being labelled a hypochondriac. Many become silent sufferers who bother their GP rarely but then, of course, the GP's can't learn from their patients! Some also don't want to as we are 'difficult' to treat but one of the good things about the internet now is the ability for such people to have a voice and that in response doctors will in time begin to engage more with patients who don't easily fit into sets of diagnostic criteria.

4 posts