Sequencing problems

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
riacraft

by riacraft on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:32 pm

Sequencing problems

I was diagnosed with CFS approx 2 years ago but think I have had it for about 25 years. It seems to slowly but steadily get worse with periods of relapse. I have noticed a number of symptoms/problems that all seem to be based on my ability to sequence.
e.g. I loose the sequnce whe writing and find that I cannot do joined up writing easily even within my fatigue limits, I loose the sequence of movement going downstairs and will suddenly not know where to put my leg and would fall if I didn't go slowly, I read things in the wrong order, even simple four word statements on adverts, I loose sequence when typing, read telephone numbers in wrong sequence.
This feels like there is more to it than just being tired. Is there a medical explanation?

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:44 pm

Re: Sequencing problems

I have already done several replies on problems relating to cognitive dysfunction in ME/CFS and other neurological symptoms that occur in this condition

What you are describing is rather different and without knowing a lot more, and carrying out a neurological examination, it would be wrong to start making diagnostic suggestions or assumptions

The bottom line is that what you are describing may not be related to ME/CFS and I think you need a proper clinical assessment - possibly from a neurologist

So you need to discuss these problems with your GP

If appropriate, he/she has the option of referring you to a neurologist or an NHS hospital based service for ME/CFS

And it may be that a clinical psychologist could be of help here with your sequencing difficulties

Details of all the UK based hospital services can be fund on the MEA website:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:45 pm

Re: Sequencing problems

You may find it helpful to look at some of the other discussions that have been taking place to questions about brain fog/cognitive dysfuntion in ME/CFS

This is a reply I posted to one such question:

Along with fatigue and pain, cognitive dysfunction/brain fog (= problems with memory, concentration, information processing, word finding etc) is another very disabling feature of this illness.

At present we know very little about what causes cognitive dysfunction in ME/CFS. There are a number of theories - perhaps the most plausible being that it is related to problems with the autonomic nervous system and the way this part of the nervous system helps to control blood flow to certain parts of the brain.

But without a better understanding of what causes cognitive dysfunction it's very difficult to treat.

We have an MEA information leaflet that goes into more detail about both cause and management - but I would add that drugs and supplements are of no clear value at present

MEA website and pdf literature form: http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

3 posts