DLA application

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Dolphinmum

by Dolphinmum on Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:53 pm

DLA application

I applied for DLA mostly mobility side back in March but as then was only DX with fibro and consequently was turned down. I have since also been dx with CFS in June and have a wonderful letter from the neuro to support this. My mobility and in fact ability to do much has definatly decreased and since completing a diary have noticed this fact, only cos its in black n white. My question is, does the DLA actually recognise Chronic Fatigue Syndrome as a disability more than fibro ? Of course I understand it depends on how the person relates into thhe point system ass to whether they get hepp or not but do they recognise this condition more?

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:03 pm

Re: DLA application

The DWP officially recognises ME and CFS as potentially disabling conditions in relation to claims for sickness (= ESA) and disability ( = DLA and PIP) benefits

In fact I spend a lot of my time at the moment at DWP HQ in London discussing ESA, DLA and PIP

Next week we are discussing the preliminary results from the evidence based review of our recommendations for changes to the work capability assessment (part of ESA assessment)

Please note that DLA has now been abolished for new claims and replaced by a Personal Independence Payment (PIP)

The MEA has a new info leaflet on how PIP applies to ME/CFS and how to fill in the application form

MEA website and pdf literature form: http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

kittycat2000

by kittycat2000 on Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:50 am

Dolphinmum, my diagnosis was originally M.E and I was initially turned down for DLA but I appealed against the decision, had a home visit from a doctor from Medical Support Services and was then awarded the benefit. I realise that it is now too late to appeal the decision on your original claim but if you decide to apply for PIP it might be worth appealing a negative result.

Sarah Lawrence

by Sarah Lawrence on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:27 pm

Hello,

You may also find the following links useful. The DWP have an A-Z of medical conditions which DWP staff use when assessing benefit claims. You will see CFS/M.E has one entry and for information about fibromyalgia they are directed to directed to NHS Choices.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/publications/spec ... -syndrome/

http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Fibromyalg ... troduction

Action for M.E have lots of information about benefits on their website www.actionforme.org.uk

Hope this helps a bit.
Sarah Lawrence
Action for M.E. Welfare Rights Officer

4 posts