Alcohol Intolerance

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

7 posts
Blueskies

by Blueskies on Sat Aug 17, 2013 6:42 pm

Alcohol Intolerance

I noticed Dr Shepherd listed alcohol intolerance amongst one of the common symptoms of M.E. Sadly I have this. Obviously if I was adopting a sick role for secondary gain I wouldn't voluntarily choose this particular symptom. I haven't been able to drink alcohol for maybe 5 years. Even half a glass of wine feels like poison to my system.

I just wondered if there was any physiological/neurological explanation for alcohol intolerance? Is it unique to M.E. or are there other illnesses/diseases that it is symptomatic of?

gainsboroughgirl

by gainsboroughgirl on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:28 pm

Re: Alcohol Intolerance

I read a brilliant book on ME about 15 years ago maybe- sorry can't recall title, which spoke of the difficulties the liver has in ME with clearing the toxins. As an interesting aside, it also said some liver function tests may return abnormal- showing an enzyme released by damaged muscle is elevated but it is also elevated in alcohol dependent patients! There no doubt will be other illnesses which make one less tolerant of alcohol but if you already have ME then the chances are this is the reason. Also do check your prescriptions/non prescribed medications to see if they advise against alcohol.

OverTheHills

by OverTheHills on Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:53 am

I would love to know more about this symptom. When I first got ME nine years ago I could still manage a glass of wine or beer if I wanted one with a meal which was a small but welcome pleasure.

Then I found sulphites became a big problem in food or drink so I could only have a few types e.g. german lagers which do not have added sulphites.

Now even tiny amounts of anything alcoholic make me feel ill immediately but with different symptoms to the sulphite intolerance/allergy. I haven't seen any research or well supported theories about this.

OTH
PS my comorbid POTS is pretty well under control so I don't think its related to that

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:40 pm

Re: Is there an explanation for alcohol intolerance in ME/CFS?

Simple awnser is no

As you are probably aware, people with ME/CFS are often sensitive to drugs that act on the central nervous system (eg painkillers, antidepressants) - probably as a result of the way in which these drugs interfere with chemical transmitter systems in the brain

Alcohol is a drug in this respect - so this might be why this sensitivity occurs

Alcohol intolerance is often worse at the start of the illness and may then decrease if improvement occurs

It's worth noting that if alcohol causes pain anywhere in the body this must be reported to your doctor - as it may be a sign of a serious medical condition not related to ME/CFS
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:42 pm

Research paper on alcohol intolerance in mE/CFS:

http://simonwessely.com/downloads/publi ... FS/160.pdf
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Blueskies

by Blueskies on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Thank you Dr Shepherd. I don't get any pain when I drink alcohol, just more of an instant hangover feeling. I'll have a look at Simon's paper. Thanks.

7 posts