Contaminated Polio Vaccines.

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

10 posts
truthseeker

by truthseeker on Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:35 pm

Contaminated Polio Vaccines.

I have had M.E. symptoms from the time I had polio vaccinations (3) in 1957/58.
I do know that SIMIAN (Monkey) viruses were discovered in SOME of the vaccines
in the early 1960s.

From my internet research it seems that MOST research has been focused on
SIMIAN virus 40. (S.V.40) but I have read that OTHER SIMIAN viruses were been found
in polio vaccines as well but I cannot find much information about them?

(1) Does ANYONE have ANY information about SIMIAN viruses that WERE found
in SOME of the early 1960s polio vaccines? (As well as S.V.40)

(2) Is there ANYWERE in the U.K. or Europe that can do tests for SIMIAN viruses not
just S.V.40 ?

THIS MAY HELP RESEARCH INTO A M.E. SUB-GROUP?

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: Contaminated Polio Vaccines.

I'm sorry but I cannot answer your very specific questions tonight - someone else may be able to do so

As you may know I have a special interest in the way in which vaccines are reported to either trigger or exacerbate some cases of ME/CFS and have a considerable amount of patient data on this subject

I very rarely receive reports linking polio vaccination to either onset of ME/CFS or the exacerbation of symptoms

This is what I have written in the MEA purple booklet:

● The effect of live oral poliovirus vaccination was examined in a double-blind study (Vedhara K et al 1997). Vaccine administration was not associated with clinical exacerbation of ME/CFS. However, objective responses to the vaccine revealed differences between patients and controls: increased poliovirus isolation, earlier peak prolifera- tive responses, lower T-cell subsets on certain days post-vaccination and a trend for reduced gamma- interferon in the vaccine group. Although not found to be contra-indicated, there was evidence of altered immune reactivity and virus clearance.

We also have an MEA information leaflet that summarises anecdotal and research relating to vaccinations and ME/CFS

MEA website and pdf literature form:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Cristinaflake

by Cristinaflake on Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:06 pm

I have always wondered about any possible connection between ME and polio vaccines.

I had mine in 1979, and just two hours later I had to be admitted in hospital for a few days. I just remember that my arm was so swollen that they had to cut my sleeve.

I am not sure what the diagnosis was, but I always assumed it was due to a "bad reaction". I had a gradual ME onset so not sure about the correlation with symptoms.

As you, I would love to see if there is a causality here.

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:59 pm

MEA website poll completed by people who predate the onset of their ME/CFS to a vaccination:

If your ME/CFS was triggered by a vaccination, which vaccine was involved?

Hepatitis B (57%, 338 Votes)
Flu (9%, 51 Votes)
Other (7%, 41 Votes)
BCG (6%, 33 Votes)
Cannot remember (5%, 31 Votes)
Combination (5%, 27 Votes)
Tetanus (3%, 18 Votes)
Meningitis (3%, 17 Votes)
MMR (2%, 14 Votes)
Polio (2%, 10 Votes)
Hepatitis A (1%, 7 Votes)
Typhoid (0%, 4 Votes)
Total Voters: 591

Start Date: April 30, 2010 @ 3:20 pm
End Date: June 2, 2010 @ 3:20 pm
Dr Charles Shepherd

truthseeker

by truthseeker on Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:30 pm

Thank you Dr Shepherd for the information.

MORE INFORMATION:

My Polio vaccinations in 1957/58 were the INJECTED 'KILLED' Polio virus.
Grown on RHESUS Monkey kidneys.
It was PRESUMED that the method used to kill the polio viruses would also
kill ALL the Monkey viruses contaminating the vaccine.This was later proven not to be the case.

Simian CYTOMEGALOVIRUS (scmv) was isolated in 1994 from HUMAN brain tissues taken from
patients who had suffered from previously UNEXPLAINED ENCEPHALITIS and CHRONIC FATIGUE
SYNDROME (CFS) This is likely to come from AFRICAN GREEN Monkeys that were used to grow
the Polio virus after they stopped using the Rhesus.

Several Monkey viruses have been found in POLIO vaccine,most notably SIMIAN
IMMUNODEFICIENCY VIRUS.(SIV),which has only been screened out since 1987.
This virus is ENDEMIC among AFRICAN GREEN Monkeys,the species that was used in the manufacture of
U.K. and U.S. Polio vaccine.

S.V.40 (The 40th Simian virus identified) is the MOST understood of the Monkey viruses.
Because it is used in medical experiments requiring a virus that can JUMP species,
its DNA has been fully analysed and so it is easily identified.

Other SIMIAN viruses - such as SV28 SV29 SV38 and SV39 - are known to reproduce in HUMAN
TISSUES.

NEEDS MUCH MORE RESEARCH.

Bluebottle

by Bluebottle on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:08 pm

Thank you. I'd like to know much more about this as I can trace some of my symptoms to just after a polio vaccine in the 1950s.

Bluebottle

by Bluebottle on Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:49 am

Tests for persistent viruses are not available on the NHS although a number of such viruses have been implicated in myalgic encephalomyelitis. Why is it just assumed that any viruses we have are necessarily dormant, and that therefore all treatment given must be solely lifestyle management?

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:50 pm

Whilst it is true to say that a number of common viral infections (and some non viral) can precipitate/trigger ME/CFS the role of persisting or reactivated viral infection remains uncertain.

There is certainly some published evidence to support a role for reactivation of herpesvirus infection in ME/CFS (e.g. HHV-6, EBV) but there is also published evidence which has not demonstrated a link

When it comes to persisting viral infection the current evidence is more against than for

Consequently, you will not normally be tested for evidence of persisting viral infections or reactivation of herpes virus infections on the NHS

The exception is testing for persisting infections such as hepatitis C and HIV - which can cause an ME/CFS-like illness

All this research evidence is summarised and referenced in the Research section of the MEA purple booklet
Dr Charles Shepherd

Bluebottle

by Bluebottle on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:04 pm

Thank you. it is interesting to note that in the US people with M.E. are being successfully treated with antivirals whilst in the UK we are being offered largely ineffectual behavioural management techniques.

10 posts