Memory Blanks

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Housemouse

by Housemouse on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:33 pm

Memory Blanks

Hello,

I wondered if memory blanks are also a 'normal' feature of the cognitive dysfunction please?

In a previous post I asked about the total loss of 'music'.

And I believe that memory recall is haphazard (I get so embarrassed - the mahjority of my communications have to have a "P.s" when I remember an important point I forgot to mention) and is another part of cog. dys.

Curiously, I can more easily remember the 'emotion' rather than what happened. i.e. re-feel the pleasure of seeing the first rose of the year or how sad i felt about an incident, or how firghtened etc.,

My biggest lapse (I think) was travelling to a Hospital to visit Clinic (I should have been there and back within 3 hours) but i was away for 7 hours - all I can remeber was a snapshot of being in the middle of the raod crossing to the hospital, then another snapshot of being in a cubicle, then someone coming up to me in the hospital and showing me that way out - and thats it...all I could remember at the time, and 3 years later thats still all I can remember.

I'm used to it now - so it does not worry me any longer - and I'm no longer capable of going that far etc., so it's not really a problem - but a mystery that I wonder if there is an explanation for please? Thank you

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Sat Aug 17, 2013 10:41 pm

Re: Memory Blanks

As I've indicated in previous replies relating to cognitive dysfunction in ME/CFS this can include a wide range of mental tasks - short term memory, concentration, attention span, word finding abilities, information processing - and can vary from mild to severe

Sometimes it includes more unusual problems associated with normal mental activity - such as the one you describe

This is something that you could discuss with your GP if it is causing real practical problems - because a clinical psychologist might be able to provide some help

I'm afraid I do not have a sound scientific explanation as to why this is happening
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

OverTheHills

by OverTheHills on Sun Aug 18, 2013 5:33 am

Re: Memory Blanks

Hi
Just a bit of personal experience I'd like to share.

I too have memory loss problems (along with word finding difficulties). I appear to not store memories properly since getting ME- the older ones are OK.

My memory problems have improved since I finally found something which helps with the 'unrefreshing sleep' symptom. This might be an area to concentrate on with your GP if you have that symptom as well.

It was a long process of trial and error to find something which worked for my sleep (I tried antihistamines, low dose antidpressants, sleeping tablets etc etc) and the answer for me unfortunately is not a medication the NHS will prescribe for ME but it works very well in my case..

I don't think I'm ever going to get the missing memories back ( I hear my 50th birthday afternoon tea was really nice) but at least I'm not losing nearly so much now.
Good luck
OTH

3 posts