Blood abnormalities.

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
johndigger

by johndigger on Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:37 am

Blood abnormalities.

I was diagnosed by Prof Nye at Liverpool with ME and FM in 2004, but have had the condition for at least several years previouse.

I have had my blood tested by my GP quite a number of times and the only thing that appears to be abnormal are :
MCV is low at 79.5 fl which indicates microcytic anemia but my ferritin levels are fine. Not thalassemia RBCs 5.61 10*12/L giving a mentzer index of 14.17 which is above 13 so ok.
MCH is 27 just in.
Plasma viscosity is high at 1.79 mpa,
Erythrocyte sedimentation rate is high for a man at 21mm/h.

I have had blood tests (privately) that showed abnormalities with my red cell superoxide dismutase
functional test 39% Zn/Cu-SOD 225, Michondia numbers low, high clumping. Indication of Nickel complex and p-nonly phenoxy acid on TL sites.
It also indicated that my Total glutathione is 1.55 mmol/L. Calcium 1 atom/fibril (low) Magnesium 18 atom/fibril (low) and Nickel 4 atom/fibril (should not be present).

Do you recommend any action to improve my blood abnormalities? I have looked at evening primrose oil and fish oil but not taken yet.

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:37 pm

Re: Blood abnormalities.

John

Blood test results have to be viewed in relation to clinical presentation, examination findings etc and it's very difficult to start providing individual advice on a range of results - especially when some of them come from the private medical sector

For example, a raised ESR or CRP level suggests that there is something wrong somewhere and this abnormality is not a characteristic feature of ME/CFS - even though it is occasionally reported and when fully investigated no other explanation is found. More info on ESR and CRP in ME/CFS can be found in the Investigations section of the MEA purple booklet.

So these results really need to be discussed with your GP and the doctor who arranged the private tests

If your GP requires further help he/she could refer you to a hospital based ME/CFS service, possibly the one in Liverpool where Dr Miller works?

The MEA website has a full list of UK hospital based services for people with ME/CFS

MEA website and pdf literature form: http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

johndigger

by johndigger on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:28 pm

Thanks,

My Doctor is not concerned about the blood tests; she is empathetic about ME but is limited in what she can do, because there is no where she can refer me to in the NHS. She did contact Liverpool in the past, but was told that all they offer is CBT / GE and as I had already had a course of treatment, there was nothing more they could do.

I have been advised not to waste my time with the Breakspear hospital. I was told they would most probably do a considerable number of tests; I wouldn't get any better or may get worse.

The Private Doctor has been told by the BMC that he is not allowed to give advice on ME, although he has similar beliefs to Doctor Myhill.

As a non medical person who has read a considerable amount about ME, I still find myself in a hopeless position of not getting any real help. I am slowly deteriorating but try to remain as active as I can and not enough to make me severely relapse. There is only so much you can do by yourself, especially when your cognition is so impaired.

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:15 pm

There are many different recognised causes for a raised ESR - ME/CFS is not one of them

Infections and inflammatory conditions can cause a raised ESR

But there are other explanations as well as this.

The ESR is a very non specific marker which, if raised, indicates a need to (a) probably repeat the test and (b) search for explanations if it is definitely and significantly raised
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

6 posts