Excessive sweating and skin sensitivity.

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Mary Helen

by Mary Helen on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:31 pm

Excessive sweating and skin sensitivity.

Hello,

I've suffered from M.E for 17 years, and was diagnosed with Dermagraphia and an under active thyroid about five years ago after a viral infection.
My symptoms include generalised body itching, and an insect crawling sensation on skin. Excessive arm Pitt and groin sweating (just in those areas) and nausea.
My dermatologist prescribed antihistamines, mast cell stabilisers,and antiemetic. He explained I had secondary Dermagraphia but was unable to explain its primary cause.

Sweating is exacerbated when wearing clothing against skin..especially in area of arm Pitt and groin..which is difficult to avoid. Also when I' doing any physical or mental activity lasting longer then five minutes,ie general conversation, telephone calls, and computer usage. Sometimes during these episodes I can feel my heart pounding.

Loose cotton clothing can sometimes help to alleviate and reduce symptoms. Can you provide any explanation as to why these symptoms occur..My G.P. couldn't... if there could be an underlying medical problem, and if there's anything else I can do to manage this annoying and embarrassing situation.

Thank you for your assistance and the opportunity to post my concerns with a sympathetic medical practitioner.

Mary Helen

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:22 pm

Re: Excessive sweating and skin sensitivity.

As you may have seen in a previous reply chronic fatigue plus skin itching in the absence of any obvious rash is a 'red flag' warning sign when assessing someone with ME/CFS

A condition called primary biliary cirrhosis should always be considered in this situation and I assume that this has been done

I'm afraid you have a complex clinical problem that really needs to be sorted out in a face to face consultation

You don't say where you live and whether you have been referred to a hospital based ME/CFS service

If not, I think this is something you ought to discuss with your GP

The MEA website has a complete list of all UK hospital based services for people with ME/CFS

MEA website: http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

2 posts