Support for starting up in work/ self employment

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
songbird99

by songbird99 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 5:44 pm

Support for starting up in work/ self employment

Is there any support out there financial or in terms of mentoring for starting up a business for someone diagnosed with ME? Has anyone successfully done this?

I have concluded that it is going to be difficult to find suitable employment in the current economic climate- so am looking to try to create my own opportunities.... either in terms of a business or a social enterprise....however I am wary of doing to much to soon.

many thanks to the panel for your time

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:58 pm

Re: Support for starting up in work/ self employment

The DWP has some initiatives, some involving limited financial assistance, that are designed to help people with disabilities and health problems return to work

But I'm not sure if this would include mentoring

I suggest you call your job centre and see if you can arrange an appointment with a disability employment adviser to find out more

I'm sure that there will be mentoring initiatives in the private sector - I have a relative who is a company director who does this in a voluntary capacity

You may find that someone else on this forum can offer some more helpful advice here
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:00 pm

Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Sarah Lawrence

by Sarah Lawrence on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:00 pm

Hello,

The DWP have introduced the New Enterprise Allowance. Originally just for JSA claimants, some ESA claimants in the Work Related Activity group can now access this help. The programme provides a volunteer business mentor and can help with the costs of starting a business and other financial help.

I have not heard from anyone with M.E who has participated so I am afraid I don't have any feedback from people about how it has worked for them.

The links below gives more information about how it works and you may want to see if you could talk to a Disability employment adviser at your local Jobcenterplus office.

http://www.dwp.gov.uk/adviser/updates/n ... allowance/

https://www.gov.uk/new-enterprise-allowance

If you are aged 18-30 the Princes Trust also provides help and mentoring for people who wish to become self employed.

http://www.princes-trust.org.uk/need_he ... ramme.aspx

Best of luck
Sarah Lawrence
Action for M.E. Welfare Rights Officer

4 posts