Children on the autistic spectrum

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Bluebottle

by Bluebottle on Mon Aug 19, 2013 8:28 pm

Children on the autistic spectrum

There appears to be a larger than average number of women with myalgic encephalomyelitis who report having children on the autistic spectrum.

Is this being investigated please?

Could an as yet unidentified persistent pathogen that causes M.E. be transmitted via the placenta, and be causing the child's autism?

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Children on the autistic spectrum

I am aware that this has been reported but there hasn't been any epidemiological research carried out to either support or refute a link with autism

At The MEA we obviously collect a vast amount of anecdotal information, including possible links to other diseases and conditions (ie anything from cancer to irritable bowel)

But from the feedback so far, and my own experience which involves dealing with several thousand people with ME/CFS over the past 30+ years, I am not personally convinced that there is a link with autism
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

ChrisofCabra

by ChrisofCabra on Tue Aug 20, 2013 2:33 pm

I have Asperger's syndrome (late, but solidly, diagnosed at the age of 48. It explained a lot) and I now have quite severe CFS /ME.

It's only anecdotal but on neither Autism or CFS support groups have I spotted an unusual concentration of the other condition showing up.

If there is a statistical connection between persistent high levels of activity and stress and developing CFS, I might expect some correlation with the autistic spectrum. Many of us (not all: we vary!) score above average on dedicated focussed activity and on being stressed out by the world around us.

Regards, Chris.

Bluebottle

by Bluebottle on Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:08 pm

Thank you Chris, but my question was about us causing autism in our children by unwittingly passing the persistent pathogens that cause M.E. to them in via the placenta.

4 posts