ME and pregnancy

Please ask our experts your adult medical questions about ME/CFS here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
kirstym33

by kirstym33 on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:49 pm

ME and pregnancy

Hi,

I was wondering if you have any information about ME and pregnancy?

I am 36 and have had moderate ME for 10 years, but its always been my dream to have a child of my own.
I cannot work, but I'm ok at home as long as I pace myself and rest when able to.
I am on some meds (one in particular I know I have to stop before trying for a baby)

Our problem is that we have recently been given conflicting information!

My GP said it was worth the risk and I should be ok after giving birth and I am well & healthy enough to try.
But now my neurologist has said there was a high chance that after giving birth I could have a severe relapse and may end up bed bound (due to the hormone surge released after giving birth)?

So now we don't know what to do!
(I knew the GP for 6 years, before he recently retired, but I've only known the neurologist about 6 months)

Do you have any advice for us regarding this, as we are now very confused!

We really want to try for a baby, but really need some advice on the matter!

Thanks
Kirsty

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:06 am

Re: ME and pregnancy

Kirsty

You have a number of very valid questions about ME/CFS in pregnancy

We have an MEA information leaflet that covers all aspects of ME/CFS in pregnancy - and it summarises all the anecdotal information we currently have

The bottom line is that some people (but not all) notice an improvement in their ME/CFS during pregnancy - sometimes quite significant. This is probably due to the hormonal and immunological changes taking place at this time.

However, when pregnancy is over, and there are considerable mental and physical stresses in looking after a new baby, some women return to previous levels of ill health, or may even relapse

Reassuringly, there is no research evidence to indicate that babies born to mothers who have ME/CFS are going to have significant health problems as a result

I cover pregnancy in ME/CFS in some detail in 'Living with ME' (Vermilion - available fee from any public library) and there is a personal account of pregnancy from a lady with ME/CFS

MEA website and pdf literature form: http://www.meassociation.org.uk
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

Dr Charles Shepherd

by Dr Charles Shepherd on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:12 am

Info on Pregnancy from Management section of MEA purple booklet:

http://www.meassociation.org.uk/?p=4038

PREGNANCY

Some women with ME/CFS fear that pregnancy may worsen their condition or threaten the health of the unborn baby. However, the first published study into pregnancy and ME/CFS has produced some generally reassuring conclusions (Schacterle and Komaroff 2004). Results from a questionnaire completed by 86 American women following a course of 252 pregnancies found no overall change in symptoms in 29 (41%); improvement in 21 (30%); and a worsening of symptoms in 20 (29%). After pregnancy, there was no change in 21 (30%); improvement in 14 (20%); and worsening in 35 (50%). This research concluded that higher rates of spontaneous abortions and developmental delay in the offspring could be explained by maternal age or parity differences.

The ME Association has a patient information leaflet covering all aspects of pregnancy.
Dr Charles Shepherd
MB BS, Honorary Medical Adviser, ME Association

kirstym33

by kirstym33 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:20 am

Thank you so much for you reply and help. I will read the info suggested.
Thank you for helping to provide information to everyone in this online clinic. It's been really helpful to me (in other areas as well as this one!) and everyone on here!
(And thanks to the other Drs helping on here too!)

Many thanks again
Kirsty

Action for M.E.

by Action for M.E. on Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:45 am

Hello. We have a section specially for parents with M.E. in our Online M.E. Centre, which covers
- deciding to have a child
- pregnancy and childbirth
- breastfeeding
- being a parent

We also have some useful articles in our membership magazine, InterAction.

You can find links to all of this at http://www.actionforme.org.uk/get-infor ... h-me/index

Best wishes

Action for M.E.

kirstym33

by kirstym33 on Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:27 am

Thank you very much Action for M.E.

Kirsty

6 posts