Long term management of a long term illness

Ask our experts your questions about all aspects of eczema and dry skin.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Nat on the forums

by Nat on the forums on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:59 am

Long term management of a long term illness

Hi,

As eczema is a chronic illness, I would be interested to hear what the experts find as the most effective ways of managing it in the long term.

While steroids and other immunosuppressants have their place in dermatology, I feel that finding practical methods of keeping eczema under control must surely be the first step - especially in young children who's immune systems are still developing.

What day to day changes seem most useful at stabilising the problem? Does allergy testing ever really help? Room temperature? Is a certain moisturiser more effective than others? Bleach baths? UV? Wet wrapping? Diet? What are the most common triggers? Food allergy? Dust mites? Detergent? I know it's different for every individual, but I'd be interested in learning what treatments seem to help the majority of people.

In my experience, learning the manage my eczema effectively by establishing a routine was very important. A Dead sea salt bath at night, followed by immediate moisturing seemed to make me less itchy, give me a better nights sleep, and give my skin the opportunity to heal. Keeping the bedroom cool, and avoiding hot, dry environments like shops that blast dry air at you as soon as you walk through the door also helps. Also, avoiding certain soaps and shampoos - especially those containing SLS and learning ways to manage my stress. etc.

I would be interested to know what those of you that see a lot of eczema every day find the most practical ways of managing the problem long term.

Thanks

2 posts