Dry Skin

You can ask our expert panel here your questions surrounding life with rosacea.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
poorlyone

by poorlyone on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:33 am

Dry Skin

I developed rosacea 4 years ago at age 59. I am not severely affected but the skin on the centre panel of my face and my cheeks is extremely dry and constantly peeling slightly. I find most proprietary brands of cleanser and moisturiser make my skin burn. Do you have any tips for cleansing and moisturising this type of skin. Even the products recommended for rosacea seem to irritate my skin. I currently use a beeswax based product but it is very greasy. Also any tips for trying to stop the rosacea getting worse.

Dr Stephen Kownacki

by Dr Stephen Kownacki on Mon Sep 23, 2013 3:03 pm

Re: Dry Skin

Dear poorlyone!

My first thought is whether you have the correct diagnosis (without any other information or picture) since your description would also fit Seborrhoeic Dermatitis which characteristically causes red dry flaky skin around the nose, also on the eyebrows and what is often called dandruff scale on the scalp. If you are not sure consult an interested GP in your practice and perhaps look it up on www.dermnetnz.org which is a wonderful source of information for patients and doctors alike.

If it is Rosacea (a flushing condition affecting the centre of the face usually including cheeks, forehead and nose) then low dose antibiotic by mouth and/or Finacea or Rosex to the skin would be a sensible start but these skin creams can themselves cause some dryness so a moisturiser is a good idea. Your experience of them has not been great but a good pharmacist should help you find one with minimal ingredients and less greasiness.
Avoid any products containing Sodium Laureth sulfate (SLS) which can cause dryness and irritation.
Dr Stephen Kownacki
MBBS LRCP MRCS MRCGP DRCOG

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/online_clinics/experts/dr_stephen_kownacki.php

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:50 pm

Dear Poorlyone,

I agree with Dr Kownacki and also wonder if you might have seborrhoeic dermatitis. To make it more difficult rosacea may co-exist with seborrhoeic dermatitis - so called spectrum of rosacea and seborrhoeic dermatitis. Flushing and red and pussy spots are features of rosacea and dry itchy scaly skin (especially around the nose, eyebrows, scalp, armpits, chest, back) - of seborrhoeic dermatitis. Alternatively one may develop allergic contact dermatitis (eczema) to e.g. fragrance(s) or preservative(s). You may want to see your GP or a dermatologist.

However, skin in Rosacea itself is often very irritable. Cetaphil range of moisturizers and cleansers can be helpful in such cases.

I hope this is helpful.
With best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff MRCP(UK) PhD FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist in Leicester and Bedford
www.alexandroff.org.uk
twitter @bedford_skin_dr
blog: http://privatehealthnews.co.uk/category ... rmatology/
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

poorlyone

by poorlyone on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:05 am

Thank you both for taking the time to provide some helpful answers and suggestions which I will follow up. My condition has been diagnosed as rosacea by a GP and a dermatologist who suggested Cetaphil products but unfortunately these made my skin flare up very quickly and I am unable to use them. I know it is very greasy but could I simply use a tiny amount of something like extra virgin olive oil on my skin or almond oil as a moisturiser?

4 posts