Basal Cell Carcinoma Removal

If you have concerns about skin cancer or how to stay safe in the sun, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
charliebear

by charliebear on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:53 pm

Basal Cell Carcinoma Removal

I have had a BCC removed and have 6 stitches in my back. I am due to have the stitches removed next Monday, however I was wondering how long I should wait until I resume exercise classes. I Usually attend Pilates Classes each day (due to total disc replacement in my lumbar). Thank you.

Dr Anton Alexandroff

by Dr Anton Alexandroff on Thu Sep 19, 2013 10:53 pm

Re: Basal Cell Carcinoma Removal

Hello, thank you for your question.
Once you had surgery your skin (the scar area) is never as strong as it used to be. In general terms a scar takes about 3 months to get as strong as it can. I completely agree with Dr Murad that you should ask this question your physician (a perfect opportunity is when you have your stitches removed). I would certainly recommend to avoid exercising until you have your stitches removed and as a very general rule I would suggest to take it easy for 4-6 weeks after surgery.

I would also strongly recommend to avoid smoking after surgery.

I completely agree with Dr Murad that you need to be careful with sun exposure in future. Protective clothing is good. If you use sunscreens you should use SPF30 and higher (I personally use SPF50 sunscreens). But remember: if you are very careful with sun protection you may become vitamin D deficient - so you may want to get your GP to check your vitamin D levels. This is not a problem as long as you know about it - you can take vitamin D supplements and also some food, e.g. cereal, is fortified with vitamin D.

I hope this is helpful.
With best wishes,
Dr Anton Alexandroff MRCP(UK) PhD FAAD FRSM
Consultant Dermatologist in Leicester and Bedford
www.alexandroff.org.uk
twitter @bedford_skin_dr
blog: http://privatehealthnews.co.uk/category ... rmatology/
Dr Anton Alexandroff
Consultant Dermatologist, Honorary Senior Lecturer & BSF spokesperson - FRCP, CCT (Derm), PhD, FRSM, FAAD

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ndroff.php

3 posts