Ichthyosis and diabetes

If you have questions about ichthyosis please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
jinstone

by jinstone on Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:44 am

Ichthyosis and diabetes

Hi there wondered if there was any work on diabetes and ichthyosis? I have type 2 diabetes (drug rather than insulin controlled) and x-linked ichthyosis. Aged 56, male. In the summer months my ichthyosis would tend to ease off with less scaling and skin generally feeling more relaxed. It may be age related but can't help wonder if in recent years with diabetes the two have compounded each other to make my skin worse and less likely to recover in warmer conditions. I believe that diabetes also has an effect on skin condition. Thoughts or any guidance on publications that I can read up on?
Regards
Jeremy Instone

ballgameaddictus

by ballgameaddictus on Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:10 pm

Re: Ichthyosis and diabetes

I am curious too. I also have type II Diabetes and information on any links between Ichthyosis Vulgaris and Diabetes would be useful

Ichthyosis Support Group

by Ichthyosis Support Group on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:32 am

Posts on talkhealth online clinic should, and will, be answered only by the medical expert panel. Please would patients and patient organisations refrain from directly answering other patients questions and giving medical advice. The medical experts for this online clinic will be answering questions throughout the week 18th-24th September. This clinic is probably most relevant to patients in the UK as treatments and advice may vary from guidelines and practice used overseas.

Thank you
Ichthyosis Support Group

Dr Mary Judge

by Dr Mary Judge on Fri Sep 20, 2013 5:39 pm

I'm not aware that Type 2 Diabetes is more common in people with XLRI. People with diabetes do get various skin problems and I suppose that could include dryness.
Dr Mary Judge
Consultant Paediatric Dermatologist & Consultant Adult Dermatologist

jinstone

by jinstone on Mon Sep 23, 2013 5:51 pm

Dr Mary Judge wrote:I'm not aware that Type 2 Diabetes is more common in people with XLRI. People with diabetes do get various skin problems and I suppose that could include dryness.
Looks like 1+1 in this case could equal 2 :)

Thank you
Jeremy

5 posts