X-Linked - question

If you have questions about ichthyosis please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Ganymede

by Ganymede on Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:59 pm

X-Linked - question

My dad has x-linked ichthyosis. As his daughter, does it make me a carrier? If so, how will this affect future generations of my own family?

Ichthyosis Support Group

by Ichthyosis Support Group on Thu Sep 19, 2013 11:35 am

Re: X-Linked - question

Posts on talkhealth online clinic should, and will, be answered only by the medical expert panel. Please would patients and patient organisations refrain from directly answering other patients questions and giving medical advice. The medical experts for this online clinic will be answering questions throughout the week 18th-24th September. This clinic is probably most relevant to patients in the UK as treatments and advice may vary from guidelines and practice used overseas.

Thank you
Ichthyosis Support Group

Dr Mary Glover

by Dr Mary Glover on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:00 am

Re: X-Linked - question

You are correct that if your father has recessive X-linked ichthyosis, as his daughter you will be a carrier. We will assume that your mother is not a carrier, in which case statistically half of your sons may be affected by recessive X-linked ichthyosis. The severity of the condition can vary to some extent, and they may not be affected in exactly the same way as your father. Statistically half of your daughters will be carriers. Carriers may sometimes have delayed onset of labour so it is important to let your obstetrician know. If you have further concerns with regards to the condition you may like to talk to your doctor about getting more detailed genetic information.
Dr Mary Glover
Consultant Paediatric Dermatologist

3 posts