Suitable cream for ichthyosis

If you have questions about ichthyosis please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Andika M

by Andika M on Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:35 pm

Suitable cream for ichthyosis

Hi, I was wandering if you would be able to help me. I suffer from ichthyosis, I originally come from Slovakia but have lived for last ten years in UK. Since I was 6 month old I have been using skin cream produced in Slovakia that helps me a lot but I haven't managed to find anything similar here in UK. I still keep bringing my cream from my home country and this is not very convenient.
These are ingredients of my current cream: petroleum, aqua, lanolin, paraffinum liquidum, cetearyl alkohol, cholesterol, amyl cinnamal, citronellol, coumarin, geraniol, isoeugenol, alpha-iso-methyl ionone, d-limonene, linalool.
Is there anything similar on UK market? Unfortunately most of creams suggested by doctors either make my skin after a while more dry than before applying, or their consistence is too hard to apply or too greasy.
Thanks for your help.

Dr Mary Judge

by Dr Mary Judge on Thu Sep 19, 2013 6:35 pm

Re: Suitable cream for ichthyosis

Dear Andika, Have you been told what type of Ichthyosis you have? There are 20 + different types of congenital ichthyosis. Some are scaly all over with red or inflammed skin, some people have fragile skin which blisters easily and some have dry scaly skin with eczema. It helps to know which ichthyosis you have. The moisturizer cream you get from Slovakia has mostly petroleum which is like Vaseline (greasy) and some other ingredients including water (which makes it more creamy) and perfume.

You have tried other lighter creams which irritate your skin so it seems you need a greasy moisturizer. In the UK we use any of the following greasy creams (really they are ointments); 50/50 paraffin mix, Epaderm Ointment, Hydromol Ointment, Diprobase Ointment. They come in 500gram tubs and are on prescription from your GP. You would need a 500grams new pot every week.

Most people with ichthyosis prefer to use a cream (light) in the daytime and an ointment (greasy) in the evening so you could get the Epaderm cream or Hydromol cream or Diprobase cream in 500gram pump pots from your GP. For washing, we advise not to use soap or shower gel but instead to get Dermol 500 wash lotion or Oilatum gel or Doublebase gel. Put this on your skin just before shower / bath and wash off in the water.

I hope you have seen a dermatologist who will go through these treatments with you.
Dr Mary Judge
Consultant Paediatric Dermatologist & Consultant Adult Dermatologist

windykful

by windykful on Mon Sep 23, 2013 4:25 pm

Re: Suitable cream for ichthyosis

Hello!
Something I have often worried about is the constant application of the same cream all over my son's body, everyday. I don't really know what it is that I am putting on, and essentially in, to his body and I wondered if there could be any issues later. For example, one of the main creams that I use on him is called ISO Urea, by La Roche Posay - it is the only cream that contains urea or any other exfoliating agent that doesn't burn or irritate his skin. (I've tried all of the usual lactic acid creams as well) So my question is, by using this or other creams on a daily basis am I causing other harm?
My son has lamellar ichthyosis, and we live in an area with no available dermatologists, and even the ones we went to had no experience with it.
Thank you so much!

3 posts