X-Linked Ichthyosis: Deterioration of skin on lower legs.

If you have questions about ichthyosis please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Paul5903

by Paul5903 on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:55 am

X-Linked Ichthyosis: Deterioration of skin on lower legs.

I am in my middle fifties and I have generally managed to keep the symptoms of my X-linked ichthyosis under moderate control by the use of relatively large quantities of Calmurid cream (10% urea + 5% lactic acid in an emulsion). However, for the last ten-or-so years, the skin specifically on my lower legs has become extremely thin and fragile, making them very vulnerable to infection and to large ulcers, especially during the autumn and winter months. Ironically, in some ways the Calmurid cream can actually make things worse for my lower legs, because it helps with the removal of the dead scales, but in turn the barrier to bacterial infections then becomes even thinner.

Knowing how serious a problem leg-ulcers can become, I normally try to give my lower legs further protection by the use of normal domestic cling-film during the cold months (when the absolute humidity is also so low). However, the cling-film is difficult to keep in place (e.g. by using rubber-bands to hold in place) and I don't see it as an ideal solution.

I am wondering whether there are more appropriate creams available specifically for my lower legs that will reduce the chances of leg infections/ulcers. I have tried Eucerin cream which contains the 10% urea but lacks the lactic acid; this is possibly slightly better since the urea moisturises without the 'attack' from any lactic acid, but it is a very greasy formulation, and with an almost non-existent thickness of skin on my lower legs, it doesn't 'sink into' the skin, and most of the cream applied just has to be removed before wearing trousers or getting into bed.

Any comments or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Dr Mary Glover

by Dr Mary Glover on Mon Sep 23, 2013 11:25 am

Re: X-Linked Ichthyosis: Deterioration of skin on lower legs

It is not usual for X-linked ichthyosis, with or without Calmurid, to lead to ulceration of the legs. I would therefore be concerned that there may be another explanation for the ulceration, unrelated to ichthyosis. Is your general health good? Are you on any regular medication? Is this something you have discussed with your doctor?
Dr Mary Glover
Consultant Paediatric Dermatologist

2 posts