Congenital Ichthyosiform Erythroderma

If you have questions about ichthyosis please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

1 post
wsquall007

by wsquall007 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:16 pm

Congenital Ichthyosiform Erythroderma

Good day all,

My name is Louis Kruger and I am 29 years old from South Africa.

I was born a collodian baby and have battled with my skin ever since. I have been diagnosed as having the Congenital Ichthyosiform Erythroderma form of Ichthyosis.

I am fortunate, it would seem, to not have the same severity as many other fellow suffers. It mainly affects my face. Occasionally, my arms and legs may be affected and usually I develop red, inflamed patches that are tender and repeatedly develop flaky skin. My general appearance is that I have a very bright red skin colour with scaling. I look severely sunburnt at best.

I seem to be incredibly heat-intolerant. I cannot handle any warm temperatures and sweat excessively, but only on my face and not the rest of my body.

I think I have mastered the art of moisturisers, bath emollients etc. but I do have a few questions, which I am hoping you can provide some info on, as the dermatology profession in our country seems to have very limited exposure to ichthyosis in general.

1. Does or should diet affect the condition?
2. What oral medication is available to assist with regulation of the skin? Have tried Neotigason, but skin remained very red and dry.
3. Are the genetic tests worth it? Does it change the treatment in any way?
4. I read a comment at ichthyosis affects the body's ability to metabolise fats - how does this affect us? What diet and/or supplements are best?

Appreciate your time.

Regards,
Louis