Lichen sclerosis

If you have questions about skin conditions other than those listed below, please create a new topic in this sub-forum and ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
dottyg53

by dottyg53 on Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:00 pm

Lichen sclerosis

Please do you have any info on lichen sclerosis I was fortunate to be diagnosed but think this condition is missed and under diagnosed because of its embarrassing nature and one of the taboo subjects. Thank you.

poorlyone

by poorlyone on Tue Sep 24, 2013 10:16 am

Re: Lichen sclerosis

Hi I am not medically qualified but do suffer from lichen sclerosis. I have found a lot of helpful information from the Lichen Sclerosus Support Group - www.lichensclerosus.org - and from the British Association of Dermatologists' website who have information on Care of Vulval Skin. I have been prescribed Dermovate cream in the past to manage the lichen sclerosis but it should be used under the supervision of a medical professional. I also accessed an article called 'Vulval skin disease; clinical features, assessment and management' by Lawton S, Littlewood S (2006) online which gave excellent information. I hope this info helps you. I, too, found it difficult to get information and to get an accurate diagnosis of the condition.

dottyg53

by dottyg53 on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:11 pm

Thank you for replying poorlyone. I don't normally post on these forums but was hoping to bring attention to the condition, in the hope that a medical practitioner would recognise the lack of publicity and information this illness has. Many gps are unaware or fail to recognise it. I feel sorry to those who are suffering and are unaware. Without monitoring and check ups it can go on to become cervical cancer. Perhaps the people who run this site would consider putting on their list of skin conditions for forum discussion. Many thanks xx

poorlyone

by poorlyone on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:49 pm

Hi you're welcome. I too hope that more information is disseminated about this distressing condition. I have had to do most of the research myself. I am disappointed that none of the experts has replied to your topic. There's still time ... but not much before the forum closes. Good luck.

5 posts