Dandruff?!

If you have questions about skin conditions other than those listed below, please create a new topic in this sub-forum and ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
MooMoo's Mummy

by MooMoo's Mummy on Tue Sep 24, 2013 11:52 am

Dandruff?!

Since I was little I have suffered from itchy flaky scalp (especially around the hairline and crown). It means I get really bad dandruff no matter what I do. If I do not wash my hair daily I get a build up of it just above my ears and at the front hairline, sometimes its just white and flakey but quite often it is yellowish. Its very embarrassing and I just wondered if there is anything I can do to stop it or at least reduce the flaking, it is itchy and uncomfortable. Thank You

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:38 pm

Re: Dandruff?!

Hi MooMoo's Mummy,

There are a few things you could try that might help clear, or at least reduce your dandruff:

1. Wash your hair daily with a mild shampoo - such as baby shampoo. Shampoos containing tea tree oil are also very effective.

2. Avoid using hair products such as hair mousse, hairspray and gel until your dandruff clears.

3. If these steps don't help you could try an anti-dandruff shampoo. These are available over-the-counter from most supermarkets and pharmacists and include shampoos that contain zinc pyrithione - which kills the fungi that may be involved, salicylic acid - which helps you to shed dead skin cells and coal tar - which helps to slow down dead skin cell production. Your GP or pharmacist should be able to advise you which would best suit you.

4. Another thing you may want to consider is your diet; some nutritionists suggest that eating a lot of sugary and refined foods can cause inflammation and hormonal spikes that may trigger dandruff. Aim to eat a diet rich in whole grains, lean proteins such as chicken and white fish, oily fish, eggs, fresh fruit and vegetables, olive oil and nuts and seeds. Such a diet will supply all of the vitamins, minerals, essential fatty acids and amino acids needed for a healthy scalp.

5. Like most skin conditions, dandruff can also become worse when you're stressed, so try to set aside time to relax and unwind every day and where possible avoid or cut back on activities you find stressful.

I hope these tips help :)

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

3 posts