Itchy dry skin on lower when warm

If you have questions about skin conditions other than those listed below, please create a new topic in this sub-forum and ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
TraceyElliott

by TraceyElliott on Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:18 pm

Itchy dry skin on lower when warm

Hi

When I get warm, ie. in bed, in summer, car heater etc my lower legs itch like crazy and I end up with scabs everywhere. I have had this problem for years and my doctor just said moisturise, but it doesn't make any difference. Have you any ideas?

Thanks

Tracey

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:10 pm

Re: Itchy dry skin on lower when warm

Hi Tracey,

Obviously the best way to ascertain what your condition is would be to see a medical practitioner. Given the fact you've suffered from the problem for years and your GP's advice has made no difference it would certainly make sense to seek another opinion.

One possibility is that you're suffering from gravitational eczema - which is a form of eczema linked to poor circulation and varicose veins in the legs - this can certainly be made worse by overheating; however this type of eczema usually develops on the skin above and around varicose veins. and you don't mention suffering from varicose veins.

As your symptoms only happen when you get warm it's possible that you could be suffering from prickly heat, which is caused when the sweat glands become blocked due to excessive sweating - usually when you are in hot or humid conditions; what happens is that the sweat becomes trapped under your skin. This then causes skin irritation and a heat rash. I'm wondering if you get a rash when you start feeling itchy?

If it is prickly heat there are several things you can do to prevent and relieve it:

1. Avoid excessive heat and humidity where possible.
2. Since warm, dry air can make skin dry and itchy, keep the thermostat in your house turned down and use an air humidifier.
3. Wear loose cotton clothing and use cotton bedding; avoid man-made fibres, such as polyester and nylon, which trap heat more easily than natural materials.
4. Keep your skin cool – take a cool bath or shower when you are overheated or feel the itching coming on
4. Soothe the itching with calamine lotion.
5. Apply a little 1% hydrocortisone cream.

If none of these steps help I'd go back to your GP and ask for some blood tests, as itchy skin can be linked to various other conditions, including thyroid problems and diabetes.

I hope this information helps you :)

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

2 posts