High Blood Pressure

If you have a general question about mental health that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
mickeedw

by mickeedw on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:26 pm

High Blood Pressure

I have been to the gym this evening for the first time in almost 2 months, after half an hour I felt myself getting dizzy and decided that it didn't feel right so made a decision to leave, whilst doing so I became more dizzy then collapsed, I was tended to by an instructor who took my blood pressure and said that it was high, because I didn't feel right along with embarrassed I forgot to ask how high the reading was. I have experienced these dizzy spells before whilst at the gym but never to the point of passing out. I know it could have been over doing it but could it be something more sinister?

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Thu Oct 10, 2013 10:30 am

Re: High Blood Pressure

Hi, hope you are well and things have returned a little more normal for you!

There could be any number of reasons why you have felt this way - and I would recommend that you get yourself fully checked out by a suitably experienced and qualified medical practitioner. It could be of course that there is nothing sinister there at all - yet always better to be safe than sorry! I'd pop along to your docs if I were you, and be pushy for all the right tests just to check you are OK.

From a non-sinister perspective there could be a number of reasons why you felt that way. You may have suffered from hypoglycemia or hyperglycemia - where your blood sugars are to low or too high playing a little havoc with your system! It could be that you worked so hard that you were reaching the end of your physical abilities. It could even be that you were forgetting to breath when lifting weights.

I would suggest taking a look at your diet to ensure that you are eating appropriately, and also get one of the trainers to observe what you are doing in the gym, checking you are doing things how you should.

What do you think?
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

Adam Eason

by Adam Eason on Fri Oct 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: High Blood Pressure

Hello Mick,

Firstly, to echo what Gary has said, I'd always recommend that you visit your GP first and foremost. Have your blood pressure measured properly and accurately. Your doctor will also be in a position to assess your current lifestyle and look at any potential changes that can be made, and may even prescribe short-term medication if deemed necessary.

There is often a correlation made between high blood pressure and stress, so you might like to consider incorporating relaxation methods, self-hypnosis, meditation, mindfulness type of practices into your daily regimen. You might like to have a read of my entry in the related thread here regarding that:

viewtopic.php?f=507&t=5117

From the perspective of my own field, there is a great deal of research to demonstrate that hypnotherapy and self-hypnosis (especially with mental imagery processes incorporated) can help. If you seek out a qualified, experienced professional, that would be best, however, a simple process aimed specifically at this issue is something I have shared on the blog at this website here:

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/bl ... -hypnosis/

If you'd like more information on how this field could help, please contact me directly or respond on this thread and I can point you to some further resources.

Good luck.
Adam Eason
Clinical & Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _eason.php

3 posts