mental health.

If you have a general question about mental health that is not covered by any of the forums listed below, please post them here for our experts to answer.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
carole davies

by carole davies on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:22 pm

mental health.

please could you help me i am having problems getting a diagnosis from my gp i do have mental health problems and take medication for it ; i was sectioned under the mental health act 4 times in green lane psychiatric hospital in devizes and have never been told what my health problems are. my gp refuses to listen and i have explained my symptoms to him and he dismisses what is being said and claims i have depression. how can i get the right diagnosis which is beginning to worry me.

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:27 pm

Re: mental health.

Hi Carole, it sounds like you've been through it. <hugs>

I don't know the system as I'm not inside it, in respect to diagnoses....yet here's a thought that may help you think differently. Rather than worrying about the diagnosis instead have you thought about getting the right help for you - you the individual instead?

It is a little change in thought yet completely different way of thinking.

What do you need to do, how do you need to be, or help do you need, in order to get you thinking exactly how you want to be thinking? And what thoughts will give you the actions and behaviour that you want to have?

Hopefully the others will come on in respect to the diagnosis point.
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:38 pm

Re: mental health.

Hi Carole,

Try not to worry - though I can understand your frustration at being kept in the dark about your mental health problems.

Since you've been sectioned under the Mental Health Act 4 times and are taking medication, I think you are perfectly entitled to ask what you have been diagnosed with; if your GP is unable/unwilling to tell you, you should be able to ask to see your psychiatrist and ask them.

In the meantime - whatever the diagnosis is, I suggest that you take good care of yourself by eating well, taking regular exercise - especially in green spaces, managing your stress levels and by treating yourself kindly. You can find more information about these approaches in these replies I've already posted:

viewtopic.php?f=505&t=5118&p=15017#p15017

viewtopic.php?f=506&t=5131&p=15052#p15052

I wish you well for the future :)

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

3 posts