Do I have a problem?

If you have questions about depression then please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Maissa77

by Maissa77 on Sat Oct 12, 2013 11:30 am

Do I have a problem?

hi, I am 30 and a mother of 2, since last week I have been felling really sad and somtimes wants to cry without any reason. I feel tired and less active. do I have depression?

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Sat Oct 12, 2013 12:21 pm

Re: Do I have a problem?

Nope. You just are feeling a little sad and tearful! You've probably heard a couple of my jokes...they do that to most people!!

Depression is a continued low mood. This may just be a little 'down' spell.

Do different stuff. Do things that make you happy. Do things that involve and absorb you. Look after yourself a little - you are the most important person in your life - if you aren't looking after yourself how can you look after others? So find a little 'me' time. Go for a walk. Do something fun. Move the furniture around a bit so you are moving different. Change your routine. A change IS as good as a rest in so many ways.

All of this may well help to lift your mood. Give it a go.

If it continues, pop to the GP, or book in with someone who can help. As a hypnotherapist and personal trainer I know that both of these options - hypnosis and exercise - can help you quite nicely. There are psychologists, counsellors, CBT....lots of options for you!

Yet remember, it could just be a down week. We all have them. Just as much as we can have a good week now. Give my advice above a go.

Hopefully the other experts here will give different perspectives too, so you can have lots of options!
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Sat Oct 12, 2013 7:48 pm

Hi Maissa77,

Just to add to Gary's excellent advice - I think it's important to realise that it's not possible - or even desirable, to feel happy all of the time - if you don't sometimes feel sad how can you appreciate feeling happy? (I hope this makes sense to you). Everyone feels down sometimes and it can be due to things not going well in some area of our lives, or it could be down to stress, or lack of sleep - or even lack of sunshine and vitamin D, the list could go on and on.

As your low mood has only lasted about a week I'd suggest following Gary's advice and do things that make you happy. Also if there are there any problems weighing on your mind, look for ways to resolve them, or at least talk them through with someone you can trust.

I'd also recommend checking that you're eating a healthy balanced diet of fish, eggs, lean meat, wholegrains, fruit, vegetables, nuts and seeds; a lack of certain nutrients can contribute to low mood. Also I'd make sure you take plenty of exercise - if possible in a green space - as this helps to boost mood.

If none of these approaches help and your low mood continues for more than a few weeks, or affects your ability to cope with day-to-day life - you should visit your GP. There are several physical conditions that can cause depression e.g. hypothyroidism and high blood pressure - your GP should be able to carry out tests to determine whether or not this is the case for you.

I hope you feel better soon :)
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:34 pm

Great advice Wendy - and I want to expand on that a bit!

I'm a bit of a sports nut, and just did a 28mile cross country run in the rain this morning with my two huskies. OK, drop the 'sports' part - I'm just a nut lol!!!

Wendy suggested green spaces - and how right she is that it lifts your mood! This morning we saw green woodpeckers, foxes, deer, rabbits, leafs making different colours and textures underfoot, mushroom pickers out everywhere collecting their natural spoils, little robin that followed us a short way, the horses in the fields under the trees, and the rain made everything smell - er - fresh!

I use the nature to keep me motivated on my long runs. I love running 'in the moment' just enjoying what I see. Every day is different, especially as the seasons change. Getting out into nature REALLY lifts my mood!

In other words, I think that Wendy's advice is perfectly on target!
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

4 posts