Feeling lost

If you have questions about depression then please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Steph11121986

by Steph11121986 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 6:49 pm

Feeling lost

I was given some medication to help my depression, after trying a few I found that the Citalopran 100mg worked well for me.
During July I was under alot of stress due to moving to a new home, lack of money/help for moving, my childrens challenging behavior and planning for my new partner and his two children to move in once I had moved. It felt like my tablets werent' working as well as they used too and I started forgetting to take the tablets, but found I was coping the same way as when I was taking them, so I threw the rest away in September thinking I would be fine with out them.
Over the last few weeks I have become increasingly stressed and down. My tolerance for the kids and my partner is at a very low point and we now argue often and go several days without talking. My mood varies to being tired, wanting to be left alone, being by myself and interacting less with my family. My stress levels are extremely low often over reacting to the smallest of things. Sometimes I will feel angry and irritable for no reason then the next feeling very low and tearful.
Do I need to go back to my GP and restart my medication? I feel at an all time low and not coping with life at all right now. Any advice to what I should do will be appreciated. Thanks

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:06 pm

Re: Feeling lost

Hi Steph, I hope you are well (apart from the obvious of course!)

More tablets? Maybe. Seek the GP's advice. I would pop to your doctor and ask if they can refer you to a hypnotherapist, psychologist, CBTherapist or counsellor who could help deal with the causes of the issues.

You can also of course go direct to the above without a GP referral, if you need to expedite matters. If you are at an all time low I would definitely act sooner rather than later - you don't have to be this way.

Have a read of some of the other posts I put on here - there are lots of things that you can do in order to help you lift your mood until the time when you can get the help you may need.
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:51 pm

Hi Steph,

It sounds like you've been under a lot of pressure lately - moving house is one of the most stressful things you can do. Also, moving in your new partner and his two children will need a period of adjustment for all of you; I think your reaction is perfectly normal.

I agree with Gary - I wouldn't rush in to taking more antidepressants. I suggest you read the advice I've offered in other posts on natural ways to fight depression - such as taking good care of yourself by eating healthily, taking regular exercise and taking steps to manage stress: viewtopic.php?f=506&t=5131#p15052 viewtopic.php?f=505&t=5118&p=15017#p15017

If, after a few weeks, none of these approaches have helped you I think it might well be a good idea to visit your GP and ask if you can be referred for cognitive behavioural therapy CBT; this basically works by helping you to change the way you perceive events - i.e. view them more positively, which changes the way you feel and behave; it's an effective treatment for depression.

In the meantime look after yourself and treat yourself kindly - hopefully you'll start to feel better soon! :)

Wendy
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Adam Eason

by Adam Eason on Mon Oct 14, 2013 12:41 pm

Hello Steph,

You may also like to take a look at some of the suggestions I made on another thread here:
viewtopic.php?f=506&t=5126

In addition to the advice already given, I'd reiterate the benefit of seeking professional help. If you are 'feeling lost' having someone to professionally guide you and metaphorically hold your hand is of much benefit.

Also, the mental health charity MIND often offer local support groups where you can interact and share your ongoing issues with people that are overcoming and dealing with similar presenting issues. I have known many individuals that have found great benefit in attending such groups and meetings.

If you choose to consider a private therapist (as opposed to an NHS recommended one), you might also like to consider the benefits of a Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapist. There is a strong body of empirical evidence to support the fact that CBT treatments are enhanced and generally become more efficacious when combined with hypnosis. You'll also learn coping skills (as with a CBT professional) to use to help with mood control and reactions to certain situations. If you need any assistance tracking down a well-qualified and experience practitioner, please get in touch or say so here.

With regards to your ongoing stress, you may also like to read some of the blog entries I have posted at this website with some simple techniques to apply or have a look at the following thread on the topic:
viewtopic.php?f=507&t=5117

Importantly, I wish you the best going forward.

Adam.
Adam Eason
Clinical & Cognitive Behavioural Hypnotherapist

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _eason.php

4 posts