Cushings Syndrome and depression/anxiety

If you have questions about depression then please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
wombat1966

by wombat1966 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:23 pm

Cushings Syndrome and depression/anxiety

Hi there,
I have been diagnosed with probable cyclical cushings syndrome and depression is one of the symptoms of it. I have done various 24hr urinary free cortisol that measures your stress hormone levels.
The normal range should be below 165 and one of mine came back at 393?
I did ask the psychiatrist at the time can it come back as high as that with depression and he didn't think it would.
I suppose I wanted a second opinion from an expert to see that they think?
I also have bilateral adrenal adenomas (benign tumours) on each adrenal gland and have consistently undetectable ACTH.

wombat1966

by wombat1966 on Sun Oct 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Re: Cushings Syndrome and depression/anxiety

Hi,
I just wanted to add I am really struggling with depression at the moment. I wouldn't end it all but I feel like I can't go through the stress of all the testing.
The tests have gone on for four years now and have had " that many tests"
I've done about 35 - 24hr Urinary free cortisol tests, I've had about 4 - CT scans on my adrenal glands, 2 scans on my pituitary gland, a whole body scan and when they did the 1st MRI on my pituitary gland I had to have a tongue biopsy because they found a lump inside my tongue that turned out to be benign.
I've been in hospital about 5 times as well for tests. It's just waiting for all the results that I found difficult.
The doctors have told me it's rare and have now referred me to a surgeon to have my right adrenal gland out.
I just don't know how to cope with it all. I've tried to talk to my partner, friends and family and just feel like they don't understand.
I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy......

2 posts