Anti Depressants

If you have questions about depression then please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
joannes4

by joannes4 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:59 am

Anti Depressants

Ive been on Sertraline 150mg for 7 months and for the last 2 months its been repeat prescription.. ive been told to go back if I start to get worse again, how long to repeat prescriptions last? Will my Dr just ask me to come back when its run out, I wasn't aware that you could get anti depressants on repeat prescription .
Thank you

karenacoyle

by karenacoyle on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:15 pm

Re: Anti Depressants

Hello Joanne

Thanks for posting on the on-line mental health clinic.

You have been prescribed Sertraline for the past 7 months and for the past 2 months this medication has been issued via repeat prescription - you are not sure if this is usual practice and how long it will continue to work in this way.

As far as I am aware GP's can use their discretion in the medications they can issue under repeat prescription, taking into account the circumstances of the patient and the review date which has been built in from the last appointment.

In your case I would have expected that your GP may have said to try the medication for a certain period, followed by a review date with advice on returning earlier if you experienced problems or if the medication stopped being effective after a set period.

If the medication is effective and you appear to be making a steady recovery, I suggest that you make another appointment in a few months time to discuss your progress with your GP and to check if your current dose is still appropriate for you.

I hope this helps and I expect other experts may post on your thread to offer further information, if necessary, - so do look out for other responses.

Very best wishes
Briege Coyle
Netmums’ Health Visitor

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _coyle.php

2 posts