anxiety

If you are stressed or suffering from anxiety, please ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
deris1967

by deris1967 on Tue Oct 15, 2013 1:14 pm

anxiety

I have suffered from severe anxiety since my teens, it has only been with the aid of a counsellor that over the past four years I have come to keep a diary and charts and have realised that it is due to my menstral cycle. I am at present on citalopram and quetiapine. I have been advised due to abnormal cells to have a hysterectomy. However I am unsure as to weather to have my ovaries removed also. I have been given this option. I am concerned that it may make the anxiety worse or would hrt settle it down. I have been perimenopausal for a couple of years now. I am 46 and we tend to have the menopause early in our family.
I think my anxiety is due to progesterone withdrawal before my period, (but sometimes I am still anxious during too) however as I am having my womb removed i would probably only receive oestrogen hrt. any thought anyone??

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Tue Oct 15, 2013 6:19 pm

Re: anxiety

Hi, just a thought - do you know by what methodology your anxiety is caused?

Anxiety is a mood - the overall experience of fear. Fear is the base emotion, which leads to the physical changes that we experience as feelings, that feed back into our cognition therefore fuelling the overall mood - anxiety. Break any of the emotion-feeling-cognition cycle and the anxiety collapses.

So anxiety is a mind-driven issue - not a hormonal issue.

I wonder - what are the thoughts that drive the anxiety? What is uncertain? How can you gain certainty?

Anyway, and in all seriousness, ask yourself "what's the worst that can happen?" and then tell yourself everything you need to do in order to "deal with it". If you don't know how to deal with it now, then find out what you need to do in order to deal with it now.

I would recommend seeing a skilled hypnotherapist or psychologist and there are also some great books on Amazon that you can find filled with techniques and understanding to help you.

The ovaries being removed should have zero impact on your anxiety, nor should your hormones...

Hope this helps!
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

2 posts