New psoriasis treatment available on NHS

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
talkhealth

by talkhealth on Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:01 am

New psoriasis treatment available on NHS

PharmaTimes is reporting that psoriasis patients will have access to Otezla on the NHS:
Patients with severe plaque psoriasis living in England and Wales should now get access to Celgene's Otezla on the NHS like their counterparts in Scotland after cost regulators confirmed that the drug is a cost-effective use of resources.
What are your thoughts? Will you be asking your health care practitioner to prescribe you Otezla?
talkhealth
Visit our events page https://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/events

Steve126

by Steve126 on Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:25 pm

Re: New psoriasis treatment available on NHS

I will first like to know more about this drug before requesting it but if it helps me with this problem that would be a great help as I have it on my nose & eyebrows, on my head & on my left elbow, it's funny though that it isn't as severe when the sun shines on it so I guess that vitamin D, from the sun helps the problem.

I shall be asking my GP about this drug & may request it to help with my Psoriasis.

Steve126

Emdee0733

by Emdee0733 on Mon Dec 04, 2017 12:17 pm

After years of light treatment with narrowband UVB which works amazingly for me, I am told that I can no longer have this due to the risk of skin cancer and have been prescribed Otezla. To be frank, I am very scared to take this, it has only been through clinical trials and although I know all drugs have potential side effects, this scares me. I have even asked if I can sign a disclaimer and continue UVB (as the dangers of exposure to that are known and treatments for skin cancer, if caught early, are available), so I would rather face the danger I do know that the potential dangers of a drug which has not had any long-term effects monitored. So, in short, I can't give any recommendation on this, but it is available in Scotland on the NHS to patients who have severe psoriasis on their entire body/scalp/hands etc.

If anyone has had experience with this drug, I would welcome some feedback. Thanks and good luck.

Giordano

by Giordano on Wed Mar 14, 2018 1:08 pm

I've had psoriasis for many years, mainly on the legs, although I sometimes get it on the forehead and temple. My GP proscribed Daktakort cream which really didn't help much at all. I'm now been on Dovonex ointment for a month and the only indication of improvement is that the scaling has disappeared, leaving only bright red blotches.

I'm not sure if my GP would proscribe Otezla as he might not think my psoriasis is severe enough. I'm also on 4 pills a day for other conditions, and there's a chance that Otezla might react badly with my other medication. However I'll certainly ask my GP the next time I see him.

RathiTeja

by RathiTeja on Fri Jun 01, 2018 10:24 am

Many treatments are available today,but I chose the herbal product namely Verdura cell repair oil. No side effects, it is enriched with pure almond and avocado oil.

Malc D1953

by Malc D1953 on Tue Dec 11, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi will my Doctor perscibe this new medicine or will I have to ask my dermatologist.

6 posts