psoriasis cream

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Wed Jun 10, 2015 2:10 pm

Re: psoriasis cream

Dear Norma,

Thank you for your post and apologies for the delay in responding to your question.

Suvex is a chemical-free product which combines a number of naturally occuring extracts including shea butter, rose hip oil, aloe vera and olive extract. It claims to soothe, moisturise and protect your skin.

Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition which presents as red, flaky, crusty patches usually around the elbows, knees, scalp and lower back area due to an over production of skin cells. Symptoms may change peiodically from no symptoms to mild or severe and the severity of psoriasis varies greatly from person to person, for some people it's just a minor irritation, but in others it can have a major impact on quality of life.

There's no cure for psoriasis, but there are a range of evidence-based treatments which have shown to improve symptoms and the appearance of the skin patches.

The usual first line treatment used will be a topical treatment (a cream or ointment), such as vitamin D analogues or topical corticosteroids which are applied directly to the affected area(s).

If these aren't effective, or your condition is more severe, a treatment called phototherapy may be used. Phototherapy involves exposing your skin to certain types of ultraviolet light.

In severe cases where the above treatments are ineffective, systemic treatments may be used. These are oral or injected medicines that work throughout the whole body.

I cannot advise that suvex cream will help your psoriasis as it is not a licensed treatment for psoriasis and I do not know the severity of your condition.

Please make an appointment to review your symptoms with your GP and agree an appropriate treatment which I hope will benefit you.

Kindest regards,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

2 posts