whispering

If you have questions about hearing voices, please ask our experts here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
fairy_cake

by fairy_cake on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:51 pm

whispering

when its quiet and the kids are in bed and i am in bed i hear whispering. i cant find where it comes from i have looked. on the rear occasions that my boyfriend stays i have asked him if he can hear it and he says no. its quiet and i cant make out what is being said but i know its aggressive and taunting. i have recently moved house (4 weeks ago) and the whispering is getting louder and is becoming more noticeable. i have always been slightly paranoid and get anxious but this has also increased and i find myself wanting to barricade the doors and stay home, if i didn't have to take the kids to school i think i would. i am unable to sleep and spend much of my time hiding my feelings of anxiety, low mood, guilt, regret, shame and inadequacy the list could continue. after moving i also have a feeling of isolation and loneliness. i find making friends very difficult and don't have any friends that i see regularly. and i don't trust anyone its like everyone is out to make life hard for me.i feel like everyone knows what i do all the time and this is what makes me want to hide. reading this back it sounds stupid but i am concerned that the way i feel and think is going to effect my children and i don't want my kids to go through what i went through with my dad (he is schizophrenic) i am 28 years old so surly if i had that it would have developed much sooner?

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Mon Oct 14, 2013 3:45 pm

Re: whispering

Hi, thanks for posting!

All of us hear voices. We all have self-talk, talking to ourselves in our heads and role playing other people. (Such as have a chat with your boyfriend in your mind - that's not really your boyfriend in your head, that would be wierd(!) instead it is part of your personality role playing your boyfriend).

Hearing whispers, ones that appear to be from outside your mind, perhaps less so.

I've had some experience with schizophrenic people close to me, and I would suggest that you are you are better placed than they were. You know you are a little paranoid, anxious and hearing whispers whereas they did not. You are perfectly placed now to go and get some help - whatever that help may be. That is, if you are having schizophrenia that is.

If it is your mind creating the whispers, there are two approaches. First is the pscyh approach and I would recommend speaking with your local mental health team in this respect. The second is the doctor route which will likely be a pharmaceutical intervention. Both are worth exploring, so you can make informed choices on how to proceed.

A psych approach can most definitely help with the parts of you that are paranoid and anxious too.

"...reading this back it sounds stupid..." no, it isn't stupid, and you were right to post. Go get yourself checked out, so you know what is going on (or what isn't!), so you can be best placed to get the right help for you.
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

2 posts