how to cope with the highs are lows?

Ask our experts all your questions about living with and treating bipolar.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
kels2711

by kels2711 on Wed Oct 09, 2013 10:47 pm

how to cope with the highs are lows?

HI
im really struggling right now to get the right care and treament i need.
2 weeks ago i was admitted to hospital after taking a large amount of codine,dizapam and paracetamol. i dont really remeber what lead up to the over dose. since then i have seen a psychiatrist and been put on imipramine, after taking this for 2 weeks i have high levels of anxiety and i feel my manic highs are creeping up past my control. when feeling this i rang the crisis team for help and i was just passed back to my doctors surgery to speak to the on call doctor.

i feel alittle frustrated that im trying to get the help i so desprately need and im not being taken seriousely. im not due to see my psychiatrist untill dec now and im already worrying how im going to cope.
my GP has made a decision to take me off the imipramine as this could be a cause of my maina. im now unmedicated untill he talks with psychiatrist.
im struggling to cope and feel i have no one to turn to.

how can i cope with these highs and why dose it take so long to get the right help and support?

i ask this as im worried that i dont trust myself not to over dose or self harm again.i have 2 little girls to look after also, who need me and i struggle to cope with my children.

has anyone been here when they were first diagnosed with bi polar and how did you cope?

many thanks

stan3456

by stan3456 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:33 pm

Re: how to cope with the highs are lows?

Hi Kels,

I am sorry to hear you are having a tough time.
I suffer with bipolar affective disorder, I was diagnosed 12 years ago.

In that time I have been married, had a child, divorced, re married and had another child . My life has its moments, but mostly I am stable and I put this down to having a good support network from Gp, community mental health team, friends and family.

I am very shocked to hear that you have been left unmedicated. You should be looked after better as your doctors have a duty of care to you and your children.

If you haven't done so already, contact the clinic where your psychiatrist appointment is, and ask to speak to the duty doctor. Somebody should be available to speak to you. You may be offered an emergency appointment with your psychiatrist.
I am shocked that the CAT team passed you back to your GP. Where I am, if there are concerns with my health and how I am coping with my kids, the CAT team come and support me at home.

If you have no luck with getting an appointment sooner, give your GP surgery a call straight away and tell the receptionist you are experiencing a crisis in your mental health and ask to have the GP call you, or give you an emergency appointment.

It can be very difficult at times to access to help you need, but you also have to be a bit pushy. Do you have a partner or family/friends close by to you that can help you?

I would suggest contacting Mind as they can put you in touch with other sufferers, and offer groups you can attend. Your local manic depression fellowship should be able to help. There are other charities that have helplines that you could google.

I hope that you can get the help you need. I currently take a mood stabiliser and this helps to keep me level. Your doctor may well suggest this type of medication to you at some point.

If I can help at all with any other questions, don't hesitate to ask.

I hope I have helped you in some way.

Don't delay in contacting your GP as a matter of urgency. They are there to help you.

C
Xx

kels2711

by kels2711 on Thu Oct 10, 2013 8:58 pm

Re: how to cope with the highs are lows?

thank you so much for your help.

Today i have been to my regular appointment with the over dose self injury service, they have made urgent referral to the crisis team, as im not coping with kids and my mania. i also have suicidal thoughts running throught my head and have done for the last week.i know with my history of attemped suicide and self harm there is a high risk of me carrying out them thoughts and acts. i just dont know how to control it when all i wanna do get away everything and drift off.

i had a call for a nurse from the crisis tem tonight, they are coming to assess me in the morning. I could hardly speak on the phone. i cant seem to get my words out or make any sense of whats happening. when i feel people arent understanding or not getting it , i become angery and lash out.

The health care team keep asking me what is it i feel i need to support me? i just dont know what i think. i dont feel im in control of my life. i dont feel safe and i have problems with my memory. i cant remeber what ive said to people or what ive done.

My mum said that i lied to her about paying my rent. i told her i had paid it ,when i havent. I dont have the money for my rent and i dont know really what ive spent on. I just dont remeber! im frightend that i take risks that i wouldnt normally take when i'm high like this.

people have said they dont understand what im saying and im rambling, when they say that to me i get more frustated and push them away from me.

is this normal to feel this way? did you ever feel this way?

do i wait untill tomorrow or do i call the crisis team tonight? i just dont know what to do to stay safe.

any help i would be grateful for.

many thanks

kelly x

3 posts