Why doesn't it hurt?

Ask our experts questions on self-harming here

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
Tina_

by Tina_ on Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:06 pm

Why doesn't it hurt?

I'm a real wimp, a paperclip is usually a major incident for me. This isn't the case when I'm not feeling well. I often need stitches after. Why is this?

Can I take anything that would make it hurt? That might help me stop.

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Thu Oct 10, 2013 11:16 am

Re: Why doesn't it hurt?

Hi Tina,

Pain is a perception. All pain is real, but all pain is a perception. Our nerve endings (nociceptors) detect heat and pressure and send this signal up your nerve lines to your mind where the 'perception' of pain is formed. Pain is a subjective experience.

There are two main ways in which we inhibit pain. The first is efferent regulation, where there is conflicting signals being sent up the nerves. Think rubbing yourself when you have knocked yourself. The signal that creates the pain is having to share the signals from the rubbing - therefore there is less of the pain signal that reaches the mind for the perception of pain to be formed. Think of 'mummy rubbing it better'.

There is also descending regulation, which is likely to be happening here. This is where your mind sends a signal down the nerve line, which blocks the signal coming up. Therefore the pain signal doesn't reach the mind and the perception of pain is not formed. This is what sport fighters like mixed martial artists experience when competing, or a soldier on the battlefield - there is something more important to pay attention to.

I wonder, what is the thing that is more important to pay attention to, for you?

The cutting is (usually) a symptom, and not a cause. Deal with the cause and you won't need to have the symptom. In my experiece the cutting is usually a need to 'let something out', or a 'need to punish', or even a distraction. I would strongly suggest seeking some help in over-coming this - it is something that you can and will get through, even if you can't see how - yet.

What do you think?
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

Tina_

by Tina_ on Fri Oct 11, 2013 8:38 pm

Thanks.

When it happens, it doesn't feel like I'm in control. Feels like a monster gets in my head. Once I'm in `the zone` there's only one real outcome. If I notice it working its way in, I've got a few things that might distract me away from it or at least delay it. It would be much easier if I could somehow reinstate pain.

It certainly gives me relief, it calms me down a bit.

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Sat Oct 12, 2013 9:27 am

Pop to your docs and get some help. In my experience the self-harm is the symptom, and not the cause. Deal with the cause...

Here's a thought. Every time you breathe out it relaxes you slightly. How about teaching yourself to be calm yourself? Take 5, deep slow breaths, and every time you breathe out relax more deeply. This will allow your body to calm down.

Alternatively, give this a go, every time you START to feel 'bad'. Tap your collarbone about 10x with rhythm, hum out loud the first couple of lines of happy birthday (or other happy tune), count out loud 1-5, and then take a deep breath let it go and relax. The tapping humming and counting is just a neurological distraction, getting your brain firing in a different way - the breathing out will relax you. So instead of troubling thought and the old results, you get troubling thought-what?-oh, relax...not this, this! Do it every time you have the troubling thoughts and it will help you calm down.

Of course, nothing is better than getting some help, so pop to your docs and ask for some. You don't have to be this way, and many have been helped quite nicely by those skilled to give that help.
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

4 posts