I can't get rid of a wart!

Browse our forums now - if you wish to talk to others you need to be a member. Simply follow this link, create a username and password, and you could be talking to others in our forums today!

Moderators: talkhealth, Geckoella

4 posts
Joanna15

by Joanna15 on Thu Mar 19, 2015 2:34 pm

I can't get rid of a wart!

I have a wart on my leg. I’ve been using Bazuka to treat it for nearly a year. It seems to go then it grows back with avengence and I just can’t seem to get rid of it. I don’t feel this warrants a doctor’s appointment as it’s not serious, but just irritating, looks nasty and catches on my clothes sometimes. What would you recommend I do? Is there something else I could use other than Bazuka?

Sarah Buchan

by Sarah Buchan on Thu Mar 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Re: I can't get rid of a wart!

Hi Joanne,

Thank you for posting your question. Warts can be very annoying but I hope my advice will help.

Warts are small lumps which develop on the skin of the hands and feet. They are caused by the human papilloma virus (HPV) which produces an excess amount of keratin (a hard protein) to develop in the top layer of skin. This extra keratin produces the rough, hard texture of a wart. There are over 100 different strains of HPV responsible for different warts.

Warts usually clear themselves without treatment although it may take up to two years for the virus to leave the system and the wart to disappear. The aim of treatment is to remove the wart without it returning and without leaving scarring. This can be achieved by a variety of methods such as salicylic acid (the bazuka product you are using), cryotherapy, duct tape and chemical treatments.

Because I do not know the exact location of your wart and due to it's reluctance to clear, I would recommend seeing your GP. I know you were previously reluctant to do so but this does warrant a visit as I would like the GP to view the wart and decide on an appropriate treatment option based on your symptoms and previous treatment attempt.

I hope that this advice is helpful for you.

Kindest regards,

Sarah
Sarah Buchan
Clinical Pharmacist, Rowlands Pharmacy
http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... buchan.php

Joanna15

by Joanna15 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 10:36 am

Thank you for your information. I might try the duct tape as a last resort – then as you say perhaps it’s time to see the GP. Thank you for your advice.

Caroline32

by Caroline32 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 2:59 pm

Sorry. I know how to burn a wart with sulfuric acid, but it must be done very carefully. Or buy medicines containing substances, and you can also burn them. But if you have a wart on your foot ... It's best to see a doctor. He will remove everything correctly and painlessly. On the leg, the wart is the worst (

4 posts