nutrition during exercise

If you have any questions that have not been covered by the subjects below please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

6 posts
Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:34 am

Re: nutrition during exercise

Hi!

I love this topic! There are so many complete myths out there. Mostly perpetuated by supplement companies and the media.

If you are eating regular meals there is very little that you need to ingest to improve your work out, even at a high level of competitive performance.

Electrolyte drinks are a waste of money - they don't help performance. We have more than enough salts in our bodies to last several hot ultramarathons - and a standard meal will replenish all the supplies we need.

In fact, ONLY drink when thirsty. Not before. ONLY when thirsty. The human body is designed to work dehydrated and not when over-hydrated. You can lose from 6-10% of your body weight in fluid before performance becomes affected. Thirst is the ONLY symptom of dehydration - so ONLY drink to thirst. If you want to learn more about this, please see the exceptional text 'Waterlogged' by Tim Noakes - fully updates the latest research into hydration as well as sports drinks, and he is the person responsible for the major changes in the advice given to athletes in the last couple of years. Basically, if you are training for 45mins-60mins, you won't need to even take on board any water. If you train longer drink only when thirsty yet even then not more than 4-600ml per hour.

If you take on a small meal/snack before training, or drink a sugary drink during training, then you are just going to be burning off that energy (generalisation) during exercise. The only thing you need to take on board that will help you perform is on exercises longer than 45-60mins, as above, is water. With one exception.

If you are carrying out prolonged exercise (1.5hrs plus) then take on board around 120g of glucose each hour. (A 6% glucose solution in your fluid for example, or a little 'GU' energy gel is ideal). This will help you keep your blood glucose levels in balance and stop you from going hypoglycemic. Yet you won't need this in a normal exercise class or gym session.

Post training, for weight loss, I wouldn't eat for at least an hour, to keep you in a fasted state and help with the utilisation of triglycerides and free fatty acids (fat!) as energy replenishment. For performance reasons, different to weight loss, a small meal with a mixture of carbs, fats and protein is ideal as the body uptake of this is most ideal within 30-45mins of an exercise session.

A few thoughts for you here - and yes, I'm going to be around to enter into a discussion if necessary!
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... turner.php

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:13 am

Just been keeping current with my studies, and remember reading this last night in a Biochemistry text, so went and found it. It kinda sums up the advice:

"So, if an athlete wishes to 'fat burn', they should attempt to keep insulin concentrations low, or else they may be wasting their time! This means not ingesting carbohydrates before or during an exercise session."

So (unless prolonged intense exercise of longer than 90mins) stay away from carbohydrates - that means sugar, grains, pasta, rice, oats, cereal, bread, energy drinks and so on before and during exercise.

Have a think about that next time you are in the gym - have a look at how many people are trying to lose weight exercising, yet are drinking an energy drink...
Gary Turner
Advisor to British Army School of Physical Training, World Champion Elite Sportsman

RosyHannah

by RosyHannah on Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:56 am

Fantastic point Helen.

Wow Gary thank you! I have just learnt so much and I have to say I think I am guilty of most I those things! You have inspired me to completely re think what I use during and after exercise now.

I'd be interested to hear how many others have now considered adjusting their methods of hydration and nutrition replacement during a work out.

Gary Turner

by Gary Turner on Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:20 pm

Hi Helen! Thanks! Thanks Rosy too!

I wouldn’t advise any difference between males or females. The periods of time without food is only for the training in a fasted state – I’m not a fan of fasting generally – I’m referring to training whilst your digestive system is generally at rest. First thing in the morning is ideal!

Hope this helps clarify?
Gary Turner

6 posts