Pregnant and overweight - please help

If you have any questions that have not been covered by the subjects below please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
milka5000

by milka5000 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:20 pm

Pregnant and overweight - please help

Hi,
I have a BMI of 33 and am about 88kg. I am also 22 weeks pregnant. My weight is the same as at the time of booking, which was at 8 weeks pregnant.

The GP and midwife made sure to tell me what not to eat, like soft cheeses etc... but no written advice on diet.

I don't feel I am eating all the right foods, maybe only some of them. I feel like I should be gaining weight, especially with all the chocolaate I eat, but instead I lost 4kg and then gained them back slowly.

I have not been trying to lose any weight at all. Just trying to incorporate some fruit and veg and stop eating chocs and ice cream, but it's just too hard without a specific diet plan.

What can I do? Ideally, I would like someone to tell me on that day you'll eat this for breakfast, this snack, this lunch, this evening snack and this dinner, including portion amounts, for every sigle day of the calendar until my due date. Then I wouldn't be worried so much about what my weight is doing.

Also struggling with depression, so not best able to actually make these sort of decisions for myself which means I eat whatever is there, if it is there, if my other half cooks and if not it's takeaway time.

Does the NHS provide any sort of service to help with diet?

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:38 pm

Re: Pregnant and overweight - please help

Hi,

Congratulations on your pregnancy!

You say that your weight is the same as it was when you were just 8 weeks pregnant - it's normal to gain between10kg and 12.5kg (22lb to 26lb) during pregnancy - with most of the weight being gained after 20 weeks; you haven't gained weight so far - probably because you were overweight at the beginning of the pregnancy and perhaps you suffered from morning sickness, or an aversion to certain foods?

It's a good idea to ensure that you don't gain too much weight during your pregnancy, but it's not advisable to go on a diet. A strict diet could lead to nutritional deficiencies that could affect both your health and your baby's growth and development.

Instead you should aim at eating a healthy, balanced, nutritious diet, to help keep both you and your baby healthy. Focus on eating chicken, fish, lean meats, well-cooked eggs, wholegrain carbs - such as brown rice, wholewheat pasta, wholewheat bread and porridge, jacket potatoes, natural/Greek yogurt, cheese (not mouldy or soft cheeses), fresh vegetables and fruit.

Limit your intake of chocolate, biscuits, cakes, sweets and ice cream, which are high in saturated fat and sugar; instead choose fresh fruit, vegetable crudités and hummus, wholegrain crackers and low-fat cheese, a yoghurt, or a handful of nuts, seeds, or dried fruit. You say that you eat a lot of chocolate - try to limit yourself to no more that 50g (2oz) a day and make it plain 70 per cent cocoa if you can - this is much healthier than milk chocolate which is higher in sugar and fat and lower in nutrients.

Avoid sugary, fizzy drinks - instead have water, unsweetened tea, coffee and herbal teas (to avoid having too much caffeine).

Another way to manage your weight and stay healthy during pregnancy is to take regular gentle exercise like walking or swimming, or yoga classes aimed at pregnant women.

You say you need a meal plan that tells you what to eat throughout your pregnancy - you will find some really good menus that do just that here: http://www.babycentre.co.uk/a1046500/pr ... -trimester

After you've had the baby you should aim to continue eating healthily to help you lose excess weight; if you choose to breast feed this will also help ensure a good supply of milk; breastfeeding isn't just best for your baby - it's also a great way to shed excess pounds and get back into shape. What you should be aiming at in the long-term is changing your eating habits for the better - for good - rather than going on a diet.

In answer to your final question - yes the NHS does offer an excellent online weight loss guide full of advice and tips on what to eat and how to become more active etc. which you can access here: http://www.nhs.uk/livewell/weight-loss- ... guide.aspx If you need extra help and support you should speak to your GP for advice.

I wish you and your baby well and hope this advice helps you to lose weight and feel happier and healthier!

Wendy :D
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:21 am

Re: Pregnant and overweight - please help

Hi Milka

I just wanted to add some additional comments to your post from a medical perspective. I run a busy antenatal clinic and understand your weight and BMI are similar to your booking readings. In view of your raised BMI of 33, you should have a glucose tolerance test at 28 weeks gestation as you have a higher risk of developing pregnancy induced diabetes (gestational diabetes). Please discuss this with your community midwife. The standard test that most units undertake is a simple glucose tolerance test.

Best of luck with the remainder of your pregnancy.
Masud
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

3 posts