have a newborn

If you have any questions that have not been covered by the subjects below please post them here.

Moderator: talkhealth

4 posts
smithas2

by smithas2 on Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:35 pm

have a newborn

Hi there my son is now 11 weeks and im very self conscious over my stretchmarks and my baby belly. Please help on good exercises and health eating to follow please? Also any suggestions on getting rid of stretchmarks?

RosyHannah

by RosyHannah on Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:57 pm

Re: have a newborn

Hi there,

First of all huge congratulations to you! Do hope you are enjoying your time with baby and being kind to yourself.

With regards to weight loss, I am no expert so I will leave that bit to our panel! I will say however that it is early days yet and a gentle start is probably the best idea.

In terms of stretch marks, I have had 3 children and got them very badly during my first pregnancy across tummy and legs. I was extremely self conscious for many years however they have faded with time and now I wear them with pride. I am sure others will be able to give you better advice for dealing with them however I just wanted to say that they are not all that bad, you learn to love them in time. Believe me.

Keep checking back for updates but let me know if you find a good remedy for them :)

Rosy

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Fri Jan 17, 2014 9:08 pm

Re: have a newborn

Hi Smithas2,

Congratulations on your new baby!

You don't state whether or not you're breastfeeding - this really does help to get you back into shape after the birth. However, if you're not breastfeeding you can still shape up by focussing on eating healthily NOT by dieting, and by taking regular exercise - such as taking your baby out for a walk in the pram!

For further weight loss advice please read my previous post: viewtopic.php?f=542&t=5514#p16231

With regard to your stretch marks - you can't get rid of them completely, but they will fade over time. Massaging in a good body butter or even baby oil every day will help to keep the skin soft and supple; doing some tummy exercises will tone the muscles and help you to feel more confident about your body. You could try doing a few gentle sit ups every day, perhaps starting off by doing just five then building up to ten, then twenty and so on. Here's an informative post about how to do post-natal sit-ups http://www.supernanny.co.uk/Advice/-/Pr ... Tummy.aspx

Remember though that it's early days yet, so don't be too hard on yourself for not yet losing all of your baby weight - eat healthily, exercise and give it time.

Most of all enjoy your baby and be proud of your body for producing a healthy baby!

I hope this advice helps you get back into shape and feel happier about your body.

Wendy :D
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

4 posts