Hypothyroid and thin

Do you have related health problems because of your weight? Do you suffer with diabetes, joint problems, breathing difficulties or other health issues? If so, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
Karisma853

by Karisma853 on Sun Jan 19, 2014 10:52 pm

Hypothyroid and thin

Hi my name is Jo and I'm a 28yr old female.

I was diagnosed hypothyroid in May 2013 and despite being told I have an illness in which makes me put on weight I've done nothing but lose weight even though I eat a lot and I'm already at the bottom of the healthy BMI. My weight is 7 stone 9 pounds or 48.6kg.

I really don't know what to do about this and I'm hoping there is someone on here who can help or empathise with me.

Thanks

Jo xxx

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Tue Jan 21, 2014 1:34 am

Re: Hypothyroid and thin

Hi Jo

If you have hypothyroidism and are losing weight there could be a number of reasons. Obviously, the most common cause is inadequate calorie intake or excess loss.

As hypothyroidism is often an autoimmune condition it can be associated with a number of other autoimmune conditions that can be associated with weight loss. I think it would be important you be formally assessed for adrenal insufficiency (Addison's disease) and coeliac's disease (gluten insensitivity).

I would discuss this with your GP as some simple blood tests can be undertaken.

best wishes
Masud
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

2 posts