How can I stop these negative cycles?

Are your concerns about your weight causing you emotional problems? Does your self esteem suffer as a result of have concerns about your weight? If so, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

5 posts
JustJenJen

by JustJenJen on Sun Jan 19, 2014 11:07 am

How can I stop these negative cycles?

Hi there,

I'm 27 years old and have been overweight for five years. I now weigh 72kg, am 1.62cm tall and have a body fat % of 37.5%. When I went to my GP she said they only offer help to people who have a body fat % of 40 or higher...seems silly to have to get fatter before getting help - not that I'm far off!

Growing up I was always slender, but after university I gained a lot of weight. Ever since gaining the weight I've tried to shift it by dieting and exercise. Some of the diet I've tried have been 'fad' diets, other times I've just tried the healthy eating and exercising approach. I once did the Dukan Diet for 3 months before my best friends wedding, and lost an amazing 10kg. Stupidly after the wedding I went back to my old ways and ate lots of junk food in large quantities until I was heavier than I had been before the Dukan Diet.

That seems to have been my pattern for the past 5 years - go on a health drive with the resolution that it's my new healthier lifestyle, then I crash and gain more weight than I was initially.

Maybe the worst part about my weight, is that I still feel like I should look like my old, slender self. Whenever I see photos of myself I'm always shocked at how fat I look. I don't think I'm in complete denial about my weight, I weigh myself, I know I'm fat, I even put up pictures to remind me I'm too big, but new photos still always come as a shock.

I really want to lose weight to be a fitter, healthier and happier me.

Any advice to make my next change or attempt would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jen

RosyHannah

by RosyHannah on Mon Jan 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: How can I stop these negative cycles?

Thanks for sharing your story Jen,

I hope that one of our experts will pick up your question very soon - in the meantime I think that you have reached quite a milestone in understanding where you are going 'wrong' in terms of weight management.

Ultimately there is no quick and easy fix, as you have learnt. A balanced diet with exercise will provide results, albeit slower than a drastic diet. The initial decision to lose weight and make a lifestyle change has to, in reality, become a permanent change.

Before embarking on any new diet or exercise plans you should first talk to your GP.

I wonder if you may also be interested in writing a short blog about your experience which could be published in our January newsletter? Your question to our experts made an interesting read and I am sure you are not entirely alone in your issues with weight management. It may be helpful to yourself to write about what you feel has not worked and other areas where you have felt you have succeeded. It would most certainly be useful for other blog readers to relate to your experience. Please do give it some thought.

Please email: info@talkhealthpartnership.com if you would like any more information.

Kind Regards,

Rosy

Wendy Green

by Wendy Green on Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:27 pm

Hi JenJen,

As RosyHannah says and you seem to have realised - quick-fix crash diets may work in the short-
term, but in the long-term most people tend to regain the weight they lost and more.

It's far better if you stop thinking 'diet' and start thinking 'long-term sensible eating', as this is the course of action that will ultimately enable you to lose weight and keep it off.

You say that you've lost weight by dieting but have then gone back to eating a lot of junk food and gained weight - that suggest to me that you need to look at WHY you are overeating. I've written a few posts during this clinic that I think could help you. They are:

viewtopic.php?f=547&t=5553#p16250
viewtopic.php?f=547&t=5547#p16236
viewtopic.php?f=547&t=5556#p16280
viewtopic.php?f=544&t=5536&p=16234#p16234

I hope this info helps you to find ways to tackle your compulsive eating and become a fitter, happier and healthier you!

Wendy :D
Wendy Green
Health Expert and Author

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... _green.php

Jessie Pavelka

by Jessie Pavelka on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:19 pm

JenJen
I understand exactly where you are coming from. We have so many responsibilities in our lives - we have jobs, we are wives, moms; and at the same time we want to enjoy our lives - but part of enjoying our lives is taking care of ourselves. It is a day to day commitment and choice. It is easy to get inspired and motivated in the moment, but very difficult to have that feeling all the time.

Here's the good news. You haven't given up. Recommit to your reasons for wanting to make changes - this is something you need to do every day. Remember when we go to sleep we die and when we wake up we are reborn (Ghandi - 'ish'). Surround yourself with the things that push you (motivate you) and pull (inspire you). It is up to you to find what these things are. It's a pursuit. And it's all you.

Just remember that somedays you are going to feel like you just can't and you just don't want to - but these are the days where you create the YOU that can do anything.

So in conclusion - commit to each day; find what drives you and get excited about where you want to be, because you are on your way.

Best

JP
Jessie Pavelka
Fitness and Wellbeing Expert

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... avelka.php

Dr Masud Haq

by Dr Masud Haq on Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:04 am

Hi Jen

Thank you for your post. I would agree with the replies from my colleagues. There's no 'quick fix'.
Fad diets work in the short term but all too often people regain weight they've previously lost.

The most successful and sustained way of losing weight is to follow a balanced diet with regular exercise. You'll feel less sluggish, more energetic, sleep better and improve your concentration levels.

The most successful way of achieving this is to moderate your carbohydrate intake and eat good sources of protein (lean meat and fish) in combination with vegetables. Drink plenty of water and eat small snacks between meals if you feel hungry.

We hear all too often that obesity levels are rising in the Western world. This is primary due to lack of exercise and a diet rich in processed food with far too much carbohydrate which results in fat deposition. The only way of losing weight is to moderate your carbohydrate intake. If you make small changes and give yourself realistic targets every month then you're more likely to be successful.

Best of luck.
Masud
Dr Masud Haq
Consultant in Diabetes & Endocrinology
Maidstone & Tunbridge Wells Hospital

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... ud_haq.php

5 posts