Nurse told me I'm Overweight

Are your concerns about your weight causing you emotional problems? Does your self esteem suffer as a result of have concerns about your weight? If so, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Katmandu

by Katmandu on Mon Jan 20, 2014 6:10 pm

Nurse told me I'm Overweight

I recently moved country and my BMI was calculated by a nurse prior to me going in to visit my GP for the first time. She smiled and told me I am 9 kgs overweight. (approx 19.8 Ibs) I was so embarrassed and have not really wanted to eat anything since then. I don't feel I could easily shed so much weight without either drastically reducing my portion sizes or eliminating a meal or two per day altogether.

Jessie Pavelka

by Jessie Pavelka on Mon Jan 20, 2014 11:27 pm

Re: Nurse told me I'm Overweight

First off - sorry you had to deal with that. Our reactions to these situations are the one thing we can control so remember, no problem is at dark as it seems at first.
Here's how you can take action. 3500 calories = 1lb. By creating a deficit of 500 calories a day you can lose a lb in a week - and that is just through food. Imagine if you exercise on top of that! YOu would be back to where you wanted to be - feeling good, feeling confident and feeling in charge of your life.
So, get moving a bit more, eat the foods that fuel your body : a colorful plate, lots of fruit and veg and keep your proteins lean.
This is a very general answer but hopefully it helps.

Best

JP
Jessie Pavelka
Fitness and Wellbeing Expert

http://www.talkhealthpartnership.com/on ... avelka.php

Katmandu

by Katmandu on Tue Jan 21, 2014 7:09 pm

Re: Nurse told me I'm Overweight

Thanks for the tips Jessie. Much appreciated.

3 posts