Secret Eating

Are your concerns about your weight causing you emotional problems? Does your self esteem suffer as a result of have concerns about your weight? If so, ask our experts your questions here.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
JustJenJen

by JustJenJen on Tue Jan 21, 2014 9:30 am

Secret Eating

Hi there,

I've actually already asked one question and got some really useful advise. I didn't see any posts about secret eating - so thought I would ask the question.

I'm always trying to make healthier food choices - particularly in front of other people. But I am "sneaking" food, when others aren't around. I tend to buy cookies and chocolate bars when I am on my own and eat them in private. If I know my partner is going away I will plan what I will go and get from the shops. My partner has found wrappers or hidden chocolate, and just asked me why I'm hiding it (it's not like he's banning it or anything). I don't really have an answer. Bizarre behaviour - which I am very aware of, but just can't seem to help myself...

Any advice?

Thanks,
Jen

Alex Ashcroft

by Alex Ashcroft on Tue Jan 21, 2014 10:19 am

Re: Secret Eating

Hi Jen,

We have spoken to lot of people who do this and do not know the reason why.

We have funding to run a network of support groups across the East and West Midlands and East Anglia for people with emotional overeat. We are also hoping to get some online groups set up soon for people outside of those regions.

The groups do not offer therapy or counseling but encourage peer support between attendees. It's a confidential and stigma free environment where people can talk to others in similar situations and explore what is going on in relation to their feelings toward food.

If you check the Beat website http://www.b-eat.co.uk and click on HelpFinder you may be able to find an emotional overeating support group local to you.

If you would like any more information email us at eosg@b-eat.co.uk

Our other support groups at Beat have shown that talking with others who share similar experiences can be so valuable.

I hope this information is of some help.

Alex
Emotional Overeating Support Groups Project Officer
Beat
Alex Ashcroft
Emotional Overeating Support Group Project Officer at B-eat

2 posts