Long Periods

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here or post specific questions in one of the sub-forums below.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
y0rda1106

by y0rda1106 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 2:24 pm

Long Periods

Hi,

I have had this problem for a number of years( Since late 2010) - my periods are lasting up to 3 weeks. I had implanon in 2009, which was removed and replaced with the copper coil in 2012, which was then replaced by the mirina coil in 2013, due to heavy bleeding. My problem happened throughout all of this. With the merina coil, i am now only having a long period every couple of months. Before that i only had one week a month bleed free.

The period itself is light bleeding, old clots and seems neverending(Apart from time with copper coil, heavy for 2 weeks, light for 1 week). Not too detrimental but very annoying and concerning. I have had a number of sti tests, I have been with the same partner for 5 years but am only 23 so I understand why doctors would feel this is necessary. I have had 4 smear tests, all clear. Hormonal levels tested, normal. Ultrasound scan - some fluid round left ovary but not noted on report.

Any suggestions on what to do next? Or what it could be? My clinic has not issued me follow-up since the scan was clear but problem still persisting.

Thank you

Jenny Greenfield

by Jenny Greenfield on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: Long Periods

Hi
Thank you for your query. You seem to have had many forms of contraception over the last few years and you do not actually say when you had your mirena fitted in 2013. Sometimes the mirena can take 6-9 months for the bleeding to settle. Can I suggest that if you have not had the mirena in for 6-9 months that you see if your periods lighten over this period and if they do not then go back to your GP and ask if you could have someting to slow the bleeding. The length of your period may just be normal for you although i can understand how frustrating this can be, as all tests have come back normal. Another suggestion would be that you could try the contraceptive pill if you can tolerate oestrogen? This would mean that you would take the pills for 3 weeks and then have a bleed in the fourth week, which would hopefully only last a few days :D
Jenny Greenfield
Practice nurse manager

Dr Sarah Gray

by Dr Sarah Gray on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:47 pm

Re: Long Periods

While a mirena coil will usually reduce the amount of blood loss, the amount of hormone in the general circulation is usually too low to affect the natural cycle so your periods will still happen as schedued. The suggestion of using the pill would take over this natural cycle and provide control of the timing of the bleed. If this is not a risk for you it would be worth considering
Dr Sarah Gray
Primary Care Lead for NHS Cornwall for Women's Health and Cancer

3 posts