Pain around vulva

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here or post specific questions in one of the sub-forums below.

Moderator: talkhealth

2 posts
LindaR

by LindaR on Wed Mar 05, 2014 4:58 pm

Pain around vulva

I am 54 and going through the menopause, I haven't had a period for about 18 - 24 months. Occasionally (probably about 3 times in the last 6 months) I get really awful pains in the vulva area, around the inner lips. I know it is uncomfortable but it is when I touch the area that it hurst the most. It feels like lots of pins sticking in me. I have had thrush in the past and I know it isn't that and it goes away after about 3-4 days.
I don't seem to have any vaginal dryness so I don't think this is the problem.

Dr Sarah Gray

by Dr Sarah Gray on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:52 pm

Re: Pain around vulva

There are a number of possible explanations for this type of problem but the atrophic (thinning) changes associated with menopause can sometimes feel like this. Nerve pains and skin problems are alternatives and infection very unlikely. Please go and see a doctor or nurse who is used to these types of problems and explain what is happening. You will need to be examined. It is most unlikley that any type of scan would add useful information.
Dr Sarah Gray
Primary Care Lead for NHS Cornwall for Women's Health and Cancer

2 posts