Tampons fall out/retroverted uterus.

Please ask our experts your general gynaecology questions here or post specific questions in one of the sub-forums below.

Moderator: talkhealth

3 posts
Sarah12

by Sarah12 on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:43 pm

Tampons fall out/retroverted uterus.

I have struggled with my weight on and off.My periods can be quite heavy and I like to use a tampon and sanitary towel to prevent any embarassing leaks.I was able to use tampons with no problem previously.
I had two d and cs for hyperplasia in the last three years.After this the gynae said I had a retroverted uterus but said this was of no significance.
In the last year or so I put on some weight (3 stone) but was previously much bigger.I find that if I try to wear a tampon they feel like they are falling out ,like they are being poked out.They come out c shaped.
I tried a regular absorbency and they fell straight out.
I have not had children and have never been sexually active.I also have had problems with continence,I leak when I sneeze.I also have alot of issues with my lower spine-discs herniated anddried out and get terrible back pain during my period.
I know the weight is not helping but does it account for all this?.

Jenny Greenfield

by Jenny Greenfield on Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:32 pm

Re: Tampons fall out/retroverted uterus.

Dear Sarah
It sounds to be like you may have a bit of a problem with your pelvic floor and that your muscles need tightening up. It may be a good idea for you to go and see you GP or Practice nurs who in the first instance can give you some exercises to do to tighten up your pelvic floor.
:)
Jenny Greenfield
Practice nurse manager

Dr Sarah Gray

by Dr Sarah Gray on Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:59 pm

Re: Tampons fall out/retroverted uterus.

I would agree that pelvic floor exercises are likely to help both with the tampons and continence. Weight control is however very important as the pressure from above really makes things worse.
Dr Sarah Gray
Primary Care Lead for NHS Cornwall for Women's Health and Cancer

3 posts